Chapter 12 : Acceptance?

Start from the beginning

How had I been so stupid and self-absorbed?!

"Manik, are you listening to me? I have no idea how the camera man got there but they have some footage of Jeff kissing me! Are you listening?!" Mukti yelled as she shook me by the shoulders, bringing me out of my trance.

"Yeah...yeah...I'm listening." I said, rubbing my face.

"She's wrecked Manik! She's not thinking straight! If that footage airs, I'm not sure she'll be able to bear the humiliation! We have to find her before she does something stupid! Should we inform security?" Mukti yelled.

I noticed that the other contestants had heard Mukti shouting and gathered around us. Hopefully, they hadn't understood much of what she'd said.

"Mukti...just relax. I'll go and find her. There's no need to call security...it's a sensitive matter and it'll just worsen things if you do." I said.

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Yes. I've got this." I said, as I turned around and hurried to the exit of the terrace.

I felt extremely guilty for not noticing Jeff's pain sooner. I was supposed to be her friend!

Ever since Cabir had come out, I'd vowed to help anyone facing the same struggle as him. I'd promised Cabir and myself.

And I'll be damned if I don't keep my promise!

******

9:10 pm, 24th February, Galaxy Villa.

I looked at the ocean as I fiddled with the grass on the lawn absent-mindedly. The waves were crashing against the shore rather peacefully. I felt like going and playing around in the sand for a while and feeling the cool water beneath the soles of my feet.

Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to fulfil my wishes. There was a watchman at the gate of the villa and a strict "No leaving the villa premises without permission" policy from the crew.

I wanted to get some peace and quiet after the interview and I thought it was best to come out and relax in the lawn for a bit, away from the hustle and bustle of the shoot.

After speaking to Mukti, I'd definitely gotten a better picture of Manik's relationship with his parents. I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Mr. and Mrs. Malhotra stayed together only for the sake of their image in the press. Was keeping up an appearance really more important than their own happiness?

I was also a little surprised to find how blatantly Mukti had refused to give Alya another chance. I knew that Manik was no longer harbouring any hate towards Alya...In fact, it seemed like quite the opposite...Was there something more to the story that I was missing?

I was brought out of my thoughts as I noticed someone zooming towards the gate of the mansion in a rather rabid fashion.

It took me a few seconds to realise that it was Jeff. Why the hell was she in such a rush? And why was she trying to leave?!

I looked sideways and realised that the watchman guarding the door had disappeared temporarily. Perhaps, he had gone for a loo break. Whatever it was, he'd picked an awful time!

"Jeff! Wait!" I screamed as I ran up to the gate.

However, I was already too late. She'd unlocked it and exited it at lightning speed.

I wasn't sure if it was okay to follow her. After all, leaving the premises was against the rules and I didn't want to get into any unnecessary trouble.

I heard a few footsteps behind me and realised that someone was following Jeff.

I turned around to see Manik jogging up to the gate with a rather puzzled look.