#1. The Pop Star

16th February, JioGarden BKC, Mumbai, 7:30 pm.

I looked at the mirror as I adjusted my hair. One performance and my hair had already gotten frizzy! Fuck this stupid humidity! The moisture was ruining my otherwise perfect look!

When I realized, I couldn't fix it myself, I immediately called the hairdresser. After all, I had to be back on stage in a matter of minutes!

"Hey you! Come here with the hair spray!" I yelled. One had to be bossy, to get things done in the entertainment industry.

She came towards me nervously and started un-frizzing my hair, painfully slowly. I heard my fans as they shouted my name outside-'Inaaya! Inaaya!' The sound was music to my ears.

The love that I had earned from the public in my two year long career was unprecedented! Not to say that I didn't work for it! I slogged my ass off for the last six years to get here! Auditioning here and there, singing at shitty bars when I didn't have rent to pay, and so on.

So I was indeed proud of my success! I may appear vain and snobbish to others...but I deserve every bit of the attention I get!

I was brought out of my thoughts as my phone started ringing. I looked at the caller ID and let out a groan. It was my manager! What the hell did he want now?

I picked up the phone and said in an annoyed voice. "What is it? I'm in the middle of a performance!"

"I called because I have some important news to give you! And I need an answer from you in the next few hours!" He said.

"Well...tell me already!" I barked.

"Inaaya, the reality T.V show 'The Bachelor' is launching an Indian version, and they want you to be a part of it! They want you to be one of the contestants!" He said.

I nearly dropped my phone as I heard this.

"Chee! Main kisi ke swayamvar mein hissa nahi lene waali! That's gross! And shaadi toh definitely nahi! Commitment is for losers!" I replied, aghast that my manager was even telling me about this ridiculous offer.

"Inaaya, shaadi karne ke liye kaun bol raha hain? It's just a reality show, dammit! They just want some entertainment! And you're perfect for that! Do you even know how much money they are going to pay you per episode? It's huge! Not only that, have you heard who the suitor is this year?" He asked, enthusiastically.

"Who?" I answered as my curiosity got the better of me.

"Manik Malhotra! The billionaire, Shrikant Malhotra's one and only son!" He replied.

"What? Why the hell would he do such a show?" I asked, puzzled.

"That doesn't matter! Don't you realize what a great opportunity this is for publicity? It's a win-win situation for you! Whether he chooses you, at the end or not! Your fan following will increase even more! You can charge even more for events!" He exclaimed.

"Give me some time to think about it!" I replied.

"Fine! But be quick, they can replace you with someone else in a split second!" He answered and hung up the phone.

I was confused! On the one hand I realized that it was a great opportunity but the whole concept of marriage made me want to puke! Even if it was all artificial!

I looked at my phone again as it buzzed with a message. My manager...again!

It said -episode wise payment- 2.5 lakh.

Shit! That's a lot of money! I can't refuse! This is more than what I earn for three of my stage shows!

I messaged my manager back and said-

We're on. Mail me the contract.

After doing so, I immediately googled 'Manik Malhotra'.

Normally, I didn't read any news articles except for the ones that featured me! But I had to know more about the suitor. If I had to earn a decent amount of money, I had to make sure I lasted till the finale.

The first picture that popped up, didn't make me regret my decision at all! He was hot! As I read more about him, I realized that he was quite the playboy and millions of girls were crushing on him.

I looked at the mirror again, and smiled when I saw my hair perfectly set once more.

"Manik Malhotra, many girls may be fantasizing about you! Par-mere jaisi koi nahi-like totally sex on legs! Kaise resist karoge tum mujhe?" I smirked as I said this to myself.

With this last thought, I went up on stage and finished off my performance, re-energized by the additional fame and money the coming few weeks would bring me...