3 - Thoughts

Flug was standing in a group of people, flooded by questions, struggling to answer even a single one of them.

A very brief but intense moment of panic later, all the inquiries suddenly stopped, giving Flug some time to calm down. The people around him finally realized how just how much they were pressuring the man. After a short silence, something seemed to catch one of the guards' attention.

"Wait...Uh, is that yours, doctor?..." the guard that spoke through the door earlier asked, pointing at Flug's sneakers and looking slightly shocked and disturbed at the same time.

The doctor himself was confused by the question too. His overwhelming fear went away for a moment just because of this strange and seemingly nonsensical sentence. He looked downwards to his shoes, his eyes immediately focusing on what the guard most likely spoke up about.

His shoes had dull red marks of blood on their soles and overall at their very bottom. The blood wasn't a liquid anymore due to coagulation, but it was still quite visible. Now, the once snow white floor had very slight, but still distracting brownish red foot prints on it.

"O-oh!" the scientist squeaked out, his terrified state partially coming back with a wave of shame. He tried to figure out what he had even been asked by re-thinking all those previous moments through, which took him longer than he cared to admit. Eventually he got through his fright and it hit him — and oh boy, it was not a nice answer. "E-eh... hehe. No, that's n-not mine at a-all," he laughed nervously, trying not to be too insensitive. "That's... That is Ashley's... A-Ashley's blood..." he was getting quieter and quieter through out the sentence. One would need to listen extremely carefully to understand the muttered end of it.

Some of the personnel right next to the guards looked like they would throw up right there, right then. Luckily their professionalism could handle this — it's very far from what their daily work was probably like, so it was overall pretty tough for them to see their coworker's blood, but all of them could resist the disgusted urges anyway. They also tried to resist the less strong urges of expressing their grief — after all, they still had work to do later that day. They'd have to spend their free time at home on feeling sad. Thus most of them looked away, trying to think of anything else but what they've just witnessed.

"H-how... did this happen?" someone in the group asked, trying hard to even their voice.

"D-Depending on what you m-mean by "this". Her d-death? I-I don't know, really — it's pitch black in t-there. The b-blood on my shoe? Uhm... I think I s-stepped in a p-puddle..." Flug wouldn't normally stutter that much, and in this case he wasn't really close to this suddenly vocal coworker of his at all to know to feel sorry for them — but he guessed it was that monster that still made him stutter.

"Um, did you learn anything about the killer though?..." someone else changed the theme, again, seeking a distraction and someone to blame.

But that wasn't just a question aimed mainly to distract from trauma — it even made Flug think about it for a moment. What did he find out? By the looks of it, he only managed to retrieve information about the creature's appearance and the fact that it isn't human. He had been too terrified to ask questions — and the being would've probably just ignored his words in the best case scenario. He didn't even want to imagine the worse cases.

"The 'killer' that you're talking about is not a h-human. That is for sure — don't even give me those d-doubtful looks. Uhm.. his appearance is quite s-strange too. Some of you might have seen him or heard something about him, b-but I'll just make it clear, I-I guess. He wears a black t-top-hat, a monocle on his left eye and has a horrifically sharp set of teeth that somehow g-glow in the dark... that's quite interesting, maybe I could learn more about that subject..." he concluded, finally looking up slightly and quietly thinking out loud as he tried to disassociate with the situation and just delve into his favorite hobby.