20 - Closure

Flug woke up on silk sheets in a king-sized bed, dim crimson light decorating the dark colored room and the blanket covering his body. All just like the last three or so days, besides the outside light getting a bit dimmer.

He looks to his right, finding almost exactly what he expected on the bedside table - a note. It told him that his lover was out "establishing connections" and that he would be back in the late day. The latter surprised him a bit, as he expected Black Hat to return in the evening, as he did before.

Although he couldn't complain - it was very good news for him, since he has been planning on asking his demon a very important - to him, at least - question. He still saw his "Jefe" quite a bit, but he could never find the time or, rather, could never go ahead and ask it. Maybe this day was the day.

As he got out of bed and headed to his room to get properly dressed, he thought of how quiet the mansion was.

He realized that all he cared about the last few days was Black Hat and finishing his project. Now that he thought about it, that wasn't very considerate of his other ex-patients, as they were still in need of his help, at least sometimes. As much as being free seemed to help them, they weren't cured.

It also worried him that he even hasn't seen a glimpse of Dementia or 5.0.5 in a long while. At all in these past days, actually. They could potentially be used to being practically imprisoned and "prefer" to stay in one room most of the time because of  being used to it - hey, maybe this sudden change of scenery was taking a toll on them - but he knew they'd still go outside once in a while in such a case. Maybe they did, and he just spent too much time in the lab to notice? Ironically so, he was heading to the lab after changing from his pajamas.

He thought he was overthinking and was about to brush it off, but he still decided to check on Fives after finishing the ray - which wasn't a lot of work at this point at all.

***

Flug has been working in his lab for hours now, used to the bright white light and the satisfying sound of his tinkering, although completely losing his sense of time.

He was at the phase of construction when it came to his project. It took a bit to figure out how to even use the Medusa's power, but, of course, he figured it out after a bunch of experiments on the test subjects that Black Hat presumably left for him - which he forgot to ask for, actually. Now, he just had to connect all the parts he constructed, sometimes glancing at his blueprints just to be sure.

After one of those rare glances, though, he found himself noticing that something new appeared to the side of him. He didn't have direct vision on it, it merely being a black spot on his peripheral. And so he set his ray down and turned to face it, purely out of instinct and slight confusion.

"Why hello there, dear," the "black spot" spoke up, actually turning out to be Black Hat without his overcoat on - for once - sitting casually on a newly spawned chair.

Flug couldn't resist quickly looking over the view that was newly accessible to him, looking up at his demon's eyes after a moment. "H-hi... how did you... get here?" he asked one of the more appropriate questions on his mind, spinning in his chair to look at the closed door of the lab, trying to figure it out.

"I have my ways. How's your project coming along?" the villain asked, seeming genuinely interested, much to the scientist's joy.

The latter turned back to his work, grabbing the ray and holding it out, as if for inspection. "I've finished constructing all the separate parts, actually! It's coming along pretty well, I only have to weld everything together," he explained with a slight smile, trying not to show how much he liked talking about it.