Chapter Nine

• Dedicated to Sophie Youmans

The sound of my alarm going off woke me out of a peaceful sleep with no dreams. I really wanted to put it on snooze and go back sleep for another hour, but I knew if I was late than Leigh would be mad at me and I didn’t need that today. 8 o’clock seemed so early, I always slept till 10 on weekends. My plan for today was to get ready, go to the shop to get myself enough drinks to last the night and then walk to Leigh’s to help her and Annie get ready. Then we had the hours walk to
Josh’s house, where the party was being held, and help him get it ready.
Throwing myself out of bed I nearly went head first into the door, but instead I fell on the floor with a loud bang. 'Well done' I thought to myself. I walked lazily over to the bathroom, not bothering to reply to my mum when she said good morning to me in the hallway. My eyes were welded shut and it was hard to open them. I opened the window, so the room wouldn’t steam up, turned the shower on and took my clothes off.

 I threw all my clothes onto the floor and stepped into the warm fountain of water and it immediately woke me up. Washing my hair and body only took me twenty minutes and I didn’t stay in the shower for long otherwise I’d be in there for a while. I heard my phone make a sound. I wrapped myself in a towel and picked it up.
‘Be here for half nine, that’s when Annie said she will be here.’
It was from Leigh. Knowing her she was just as tired and finding it hard to wake up as me. She
liked to sleep till late on the weekends, wasting the day in bed. Then she would go downstairs, make breakfast then go and watch movies or a TV series. Leigh would probably get out of bed at 9 today so that she had half an hour to have some tea and change before Annie arrived.
I went into my wardrobe and searched through all of my clothes. Finally I found a pair of black jeans, a white shirt and a black leather jacket. Probably too much black but I didn’t care; anything that I would feel comfortable in would do me, I would enjoy the party more. I would prefer to wear joggers but that wouldn’t be the best idea.
I changed into the clothes I had picked out and went back into the bathroom to do my hair. A simple pony tail would do me for the rest of the day. I pulled my hair up into a bobble and sprayed myself with some perfume.
The scent of pancakes drifted up the stairs and into my room. Taking a deep breath I made my way downstairs where a pile of them were waiting on the table for me along with my brother.
“Hey Owen.” I said, taking my seat and grabbing two pancakes. I smeared them with chocolate sauce and ate them quickly. By the time I had finished it was 9 o’clock, I needed to get going otherwise I would be late. Saying goodbye and grabbing a £5 note out of my wallet I began my journey to the shop. The shop keeper was very perky and said hello as soon as he heard the bell ring, notifying him that someone had entered. I said hello back then made my way to the drink section. I grabbed two energy drinks, a can of Coke, a can of Dr Pepper and a bottle of lemonade. It came to just over £4, I told him to keep the change and left. I got to Leigh’s house for 9:35, the same time Annie arrived.

Leigh and Annie had already picked out their outfits so all I had to do was their hair and makeup.
“Thank you.” Leigh said when I had finished them both. We talked for a bit, but I didn't mention what happened on Friday night, before leaving. They didn’t need to know. What happened would be between me and him, nobody else needed to know.
We paid the rather grumpy bus driver and took our seats on the second floor of the bus at the back. Leigh and Annie talked about who they were going to see at the party and if they were going to drink the alcohol that was most likely going to be there. Underage drinking, fun. A bunch of sixteen and seventeen year olds getting drunk for the fun of it. I would most likely have some,
but not enough to get drunk. I watched as the scenery went by the window and didn’t pay attention to anything they said. We soon arrived at the bus stop just outside Josh’s house.
Music was playing already and it was only 10:27. The party was starting early, but first we would probably sit around and listen to music. Then people would start arriving around 12 and the party would actually begin at 3. Still a bit early but that’s what Josh’s parties were like, and they usually lasted till early hours the next day.
“Hey guys.” Josh said as he opened the door. He was wearing black jeans, a grey top and a blue checkered jacket as well as a black beanie. His blond hair was tired up in a small pony tail and the scent of Lynx wafted over to us.
He had pushed all the furniture to the side of the room and laid out food and drinks. CDs were piled up next to a PlayStation that was connected to his plasma screen TV. At the moment it was playing ‘In the Lonely Hour’, Sam Smith's new album.

 I hadn’t seen Josh for months as he had been to France to spend time with his family. We were close when we were younger and spent every day playing on the trampoline I used to have. But then we went to different schools and drifted apart. We always tried to meet up, but it was rare that we did so, when we actually saw each other, we would talk for hours about what we had been up to. We dated once as well, but it didn’t work out and we agreed to just be friends, not wanting to ruin the friendship we had. Of course, I still had some feelings for him and I knew he did as well, but we would never act on them, we cherished our friendship too much. He was my best friend and has always been there for me.
The first to arrive was Dylln, Leigh’s boyfriend, then Dan and then after that everyone started to arrive one after another and soon the room was nearly full. Dan and Annie were talking in one corner, Leigh and Dylln were talking on the sofa and I was talking Josh on the same sofa.
By 7, a third of the room were fast on their way to being drunk. They stumbled around and stuffed their faces with food. I'd had two beers, a glass of vodka and a coke but I felt fine. I ate too, but not a lot, and spent most of the night with Josh. We talked and danced whenever a good song we both loved came one.
The party ended at midnight when some girl threw up on the floor and her parents had to come pick her up. The 5 of us (Leigh, Dylln, Annie, Dan and I) were going to have to sleep
round as we lived so far away. I got the blow up bed with Josh, Leigh got the sofa with Dylln and Annie the other sofa with Dan. We collapsed around one as we were shattered.
Tomorrow would be cleaning up and then I was meeting my friend Ryan at an American diner in town. I was looking forward to catching up with him and hearing about his new boyfriend he had just started dating. I was the first one to know and he wanted my opinion on the boy and to see if I liked him. We were meeting there at 1 so I could, thankfully, have a lie in before having to get ready.
The last thing I remember was Josh putting his arm around me, which I was happy about as I was freezing cold, and saying goodnight. Then I couldn’t stay awake anymore and drifted off into darkness.