Chapter Eight

“Mr Reese?”
“Miss Sterling, what on earth are you doing?”
He was wearing a tightly fitted black shirt and black trousers and his hair looked damp. I recognised Pink Floyd coming from the radio. He had a red jelly bean hanging from his review mirror, making the car smell like cherries. He was driving an Aston Martin DBS with a black leather interior.
“Walking, what does it look like?” I said sarcastically. A smile appeared on his face and he chuckled a bit.
“At midnight? In the pouring rain?”
I must have looked a mess standing there, soaked. My hair was clinging to my face; I ran my hand through it trying to sort it out. I could feel the rain dripping off of me and I was freezing, my jacket soaked and not giving me any warmth. Underneath my jacked I only had a vest top on and I was wearing my baggy joggers. My outfit wasn’t the best for this weather.
“Yes i’m walking at midnight in the pouring rain, good observation skills Sir.” I turned away from him and carried on walking. I could hear his car moving forward and following me so I stopped and turned back around. “Is there something you want?” I asked.
“Do you want a lift?”
I leant forward and rested my arm on the top of his car.
“It would look a little strange; a student in her teacher's car at this time of night.” His smile grew wider and he looked around.
“No one’s around.” He said mischievously.
I looked down and bit my lip. I was freezing and his car was warm, I could feel it from where I was. It was dark and who knows what sort of people were lurking round corners.
No matter how many reasons you come up with for being in a car with a teacher that you fancy, it still wouldn’t go down well with people.
The voice in my head spoke the truth, 'A student in a teacher's car wouldn’t look good no matter what reasons.' I sighed and looked back at him.
“No, sorry, I’m fine walking. See you Monday, Sir.” I pulled my hood up and carried on walking, not looking back. I breathed in the cold air and walked quicker, wanting to get into my warm bed and go to sleep. A few minutes later I saw his car drive by and him looking in his review mirror at me. I smiled slightly and looked away.

 Maybe Leigh was right, maybe I did like him. There’s nothing wrong with that. He was my type and extremely charming whenever I spoke to him. But it worried me that he had just asked a student of his, who he had known only five days, if they wanted a lift. Yes, it was because of good reasons as it was raining and I had a long walk to go, but it was still inappropriate.
As I round the corner to my street I breathed out, thankful to finally be home. I opened and closed the door quietly so I wouldn’t wake my mum and chucked my, now drenched, non-waterproof jacket on the bottom of the stairs.
I flicked the kettle on and went to grab my pajama top and some grey joggers. By the time I had finished changing the kettle was done boiling so I poured the water into a cup with milk, a tea bag and two tablespoons of sugar.
The warmth of my bed was welcoming when I pulled the covers up to my chin, sipping delicately at the hot tea in my hands. I turned on the television and closed my eyes. I liked to sleep with sound in the background so I often left my television on and fell asleep to it. I hated being in the dark; quiet and alone. You don’t know what's in the shadows around you and any slight sound made my heart beat faster and I wouldn’t be able to sleep, but I needed to. I had to get ready early tomorrow and then go and help Leigh and Annie get ready for a party we had been invited to later that night. I knew we would be up late dancing and most likely drinking and I didn’t want to be tired, so it was only logical to sleep instead of staying up late. But when I tried to sleep I couldn’t drift off, so I watched the episodes of Family Guy that were being repeated on my screen.
My thoughts went to Mr Reese and our little encounter. Why had he offered me a lift? Any other teacher would have lowered their eyes and hoped the student wouldn’t see them (that's happened when I’ve seen teachers outside of school before). If it wasn’t them trying to hide then it was usually me. Why had I even thought about getting into his car? I should have said no straight away instead of thinking about it. I hoped that by Monday he would have forgotten about it and it wouldn’t be awkward between us. I’d probably try my best to avoid him but that would be hard to do seeing as he would be teaching me last lesson.
'Just keep your head down and don’t interact with him on purpose' I thought to myself. It’s the only thing I could do and hopefully it would work. I knew eventually I would have to talk to him but until then I would try my best to not have to. 'Leigh cannot find out about what happened today' I thought to myself. She'd never forget it and, by the end of the week, the whole school would probably know. She may be my best friend, but I still wasn’t going to let her find out about this. Plus she already thought I had a crush on him.
'You do, don’t you?'
I dismissed the thought as soon as it came to my mind. I wouldn’t think about that now.
I could feel my eyelids drooping and I was thankful for it. I let sleep take me, tomorrow was
going to be a long day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys :)

What do you think is going to happen on monday? How do you think the party is going to go? Do you think Leigh should know? Do you think she'll find out?

Comment what you think is going to happen.

I want to dedicate this chapter to my friend Nermein for helping me and giving me some good advise. Thanks for being a fan ;)

Thanks for the support :)

Saskia