𝑜𝓃𝑒

"Classicism is health, romanticism is sickness."
- Von Goethe

"Yes, very good! And another plie, finish in 5th."
Mr. Olivier is a mentor any talented and ambitious ballet dancer wants. I should know; he used to coach my mother back in the day, long after she hit her prime as a prima ballerina.
"Bravo Avery, you're almost as good as your mama; keep practicing and you'll be there in no time, oui?"

I shyly smiled and nodded.

"Okay, go on now. See you tomorrow morning."
He waved off with his hand, but not in a rude way.

"See you."

I'll never forget the first time I saw my mother, putting on her white ballet shoes, so shiny and silky. And when she danced, I found myself in a tiny bubble, feeling like I found something I want to pursue. I was 7 at the time but it often seems as if it were yesterday; the day I decided that following her footsteps would be one part of my dreams.

My parents are very supportive and they never were much different. Dad just wanted me to do what I enjoy and mom; well, she understood why I fell in love with ballet and classical music. There was something calming about it, yet it allowed me to be passionate and express myself. Talent came out by itself after I got lost in the sweet symphony of feathery light moves and soothing notes.

But everything beautiful comes with a price; I pushed myself to be the best of the best and it took it's toll on me. My feet hurt and blisters are a completely normal everyday thing; so is a little bleeding after I take my ballet shoes off after practice. Still, it's worth it.
I get to be the star of the Swan Lake in our academy's benefit. The black swan part is a bit challenging, but nothing I can't handle. Certain, very important, people are coming to the charity event and if they like what they see, I might get a real chance; a chance to star in a real ballet show in the city theater; and then step by step, moving on, rising up. I've been working very hard in order to achieve that, so naturally I get anxious at times.

But I want it.
I want to be the it girl; a real star.
Just like my mother.

I've been working hard at it and I'm gonna keep it up; it's just the way I always was.

💎

I untied my ballet shoes, sliding them off my feet carefully. My toes were a little swollen but it was nothing new. I'd always take care of it when I got home. Putting on a fluffier pair of socks, I jumped into my Nike sneakers and grabbed my bag on the way out. Alicia was already waiting for me at the lot, waving as I was approaching her car.

"Hi prima, get in."

I smiled and jumped in the passenger seat.

Alicia is the best comparison to what a girl calls a best friend. She goes to a public school that's in the building right by my academy but we've been friends forever; since I can remember. Plus she lives three houses down the street. We played together when we were kids and as everyone grew up and eventually distanced themselves from me, she stayed. She's the only person I actually like hanging out with, in my free time and all. As much of it as I can get.

"Wanna grab some McDonalds?" She asked, changing the radio station.

"You know I can't." I reminded her. "I am down for a smoothie, though."

She smiled and sighed.
"You got it."

We decided to go to Jamba Juice.
She ordered while I took a seat at one of the tables. Turning around, I saw Alicia talking to some guys that were obnoxiously laughing and checking me out. I haven't seen them before so I assumed they're from the public school and they know each other from there.

She pranced back to our table with our order, smiling widely; like the Joker.

"What?"
I asked.

"Rocky asked about you."
She was thrilled; it was kind of freaking me out.

"And?"

"And he's the one with the yellow snapback!"
She poked my arm, signaling me to check him out.

I looked in their direction and immediately noticed him; he was the loudest of them all, sitting on the table, his feet up on one of the chairs.

I rolled my eyes when he winked at me.

"Ain't he cute?"
Alicia mumbled.

"Yeah, he's a real gem."
I sarcastically pointed out.

She raised her brow at me and chuckled.
"You really can't be bothered, huh?"

At least not with him.
I never cared for guys who act like assholes to impress their asshole friends.

And that's exactly what it looked like.