Mom was staring at me in shock and I couldn't tell whether she believed me or was struggling not to smack me as she dropped to the sofa. Dad on the other hand wore a stoic expression as if waiting for me to say more to determine the verdict.

"Who's saying that?" dad queried, his tone suddenly businesslike and it made me realize that the Councilman in him was rearing its pompous head.

"Mandy and her parents." I admitted. Mom and dad exchanged worried, dubious glances. "She's lying!" I blurted when I noticed that they were doubting my honesty.

"Are you sure, sweetie?" mom asked, scrunching her nose. "We know you're sexually active, and we're not stupid. All those late nights out with her. Those weekend long visits to the beach house."

"Again with her." Dad added his two cents. I can't believe them.

"This is unreal." I retorted, rolling my eyes.

"Are you certain it isn't yours? You've just found your mate who happens to be her brother. If it's true and that baby is yours, this will only end in chaos. You're only eighteen and nowhere near ready to father a child."

Way too boost my confidence, dad.

"I don't know for sure if she is pregnant. But if she is, I can say with utmost certainty, it isn't mine. According to Cheryl, Mandy is three weeks pregnant. It fits the timeline of our very last hookup, but, there are no pheromones."

Mom raised her hands in rejoice as though praying to the gods. "Then we have nothing to worry about." she stated, shuffling her feet ready to stand, but I held her back.

"That's not it." Mom returned to her seat, and dad crossed his arms over his chest, suddenly appearing strikingly menacing. "I saw a side of Cheryl and Vince today that worries me. I have a feeling they'll try to push this. And if they find out about Bennett and me, I don't want to think about what they'll do to him."

"Carter." dad said firmly, but I caught the undertone that said 'explain'. And so for the next five or so minutes I recalled to my parents, the events that led to this altercation. My dumping Mandy, her condescending tone when speaking to Bennett that Wednesday in the classroom. And what happened today.

But the part of my story that truly captivated my parents' curiosity was when I described the altercation earlier that led to a fight between Zoe and Cheryl.

"Anyway, that's why I came home so late. And also why I don't think he'll be...okay if they find out."

My parents exchanged knowing glances and my mother nodded toward her mate.

"Focus on building your relationship with your mate." dad advised, ensuring to emphasize that the mate bond with Bennett was far more important than any other issue I could possibly encounter. "If they approach you about fathering a child that's not yours, let them know you're willing to take legal action. You won't be taking care of any child that's not yours."

Mom rubbed my shoulder. "We'll take care of things if they push beyond that." she said reassuringly. "You have a lot to deal with at your age. Getting control of your wolf when inheriting the beta position is only around the corner, and helping your mate get better. You can't afford any upsets." She ran her fingers through my hair and stood up to press a kiss to my hair.

"Go get some sleep. Don't worry too much about this 'baby' drama." she advised reassuringly, cupping my chin before she said her good night and left.

With mom gone, dad hummed tiredly plopping down next to me. And because he weighs over two hundred pounds of pure muscle, the damn sofa wobbled. Surprisingly though, it didn't snap in half like the last one.