Chapter 57: Explanations are so hard

Почніть із самого початку

The King, was staring at me with a completely blank expression. Completely unreadable. Completely frozen. Completely terrifying!

I turned to Geoffrey who was looking at me with an amused expression. His golden eyes were dazzling and he was showing off a self satisfied grin as if my announcement had been amusing. His reaction seemed distinctly positive, like I had just told him good news, which was a serious relief and disappointment. I thought that he would at least gasp...

"Lady Delton," Geoffrey got up from his chair, while keeping his golden eyes fixed on me.

"This is like a dream..." His grin was wide and filled with happiness. In fact he was radiating warmth.

I nodded awkwardly trying not to move back as he approached me.

"I'm glad you are taking this so well." I blushed as he stepped the distance between us and wrapped his red and gold robes around me, kind of creating a warm silky cocoon for me in his arms. I gulped nervously for the second time, wondering if this kind of embrace was at all appropriate.

I was starting to overheat. Not because it was a hot day and our proximity was adding to my temperature, no it was rather because his presence was making me all hot and bothered.

I knew he was looking down at my face, so I was purposefully avoiding his gaze because the chance of me melting under those golden eyes was really high.

In my attempt to avoid Geoffrey I looked over at the King. He was definitely not taking this as well as his son. In the space of a few seconds, a vat of Gismeadian ale had appeared before him and he was now focused on chugging down a beer sized pint of the infamously alcoholic 'Gismeadian ale'.

"Is the King going to be alright?" I asked nervously watching as the old golden man seemed to crumble under the weight of my announcement.

"You should just give him a while to adjust. After all this is an unexpected announcement, to say the least." Geoffrey chuckled as he eyed his father slurping down the golden mug of Gismeadian ale.

"You are taking this pretty well though..." I commented up at him as he was distracted by his father.

He smild proudly. "Well, I did suspect that you might be a chosen child, but I wasn't sure. Your confirmation has only cemented what I already suspected. However father over there, thought the possibility of you being a chosen child was impossible since we heard no word from the prophet."

"The prophet?" I asked curiously, wondering what a prophet had to do with any of this.

"There is a prophet named Aurelia who lives in the Nomansland forest. Every time a chosen child is born into the kingdom she travels down from her home to inform the people of the reincarnated person's coming."

"And she didn't come to tell you about me?" I frowned, strangley feeling as though I had been wronged by this Aurelia person. Seriously... she had one job.

"No." Geoffrey shook his head. "Although your powers were definitely on par with what a chosen child's power was reported to be, we didn't believe you were one because Aurelia did not inform us about you."

Now I understood. Even though I obviously was much more powerful than the people here, they didn't believe I was a chosen child because that prophet lady didn't come down from the forest to tell them.