~ T W E N T Y ~

🍷

"I've lived in the slums my whole life. I've worked hard my whole life. How can you tell me I'm not a human being."
— Otto Berman

A/N: Since Katerina, Arianna's daughter, is included in this chapter's dialogue, I'll add a bolded bracket beside the indicated word spoken being said as Katerina speaks with words of mispronunciation.

~ Next Day Later ~

Luciano De'Angelo's POV

My mind was rushing hazily as if lights were turning on and off repeatedly, electricity humming back and forth. The feeling of hesitance lingered throughout my insides, almost as if I should or shouldn't give up. In all the things that I could be doing, out of all the things, it just had to be this.

The middle-aged Asian woman professionally sat in front of my figure, "Mr De'Angelo, the child has experienced extreme trauma - especially at the age of four. Like you said, as soon as you found the child she had been locked away. A child this state mustn't overlook such profound events, such as what you've given me as a statement."

I didn't know whether what could happen to me, or what the child meant?

I couldn't deal with having a psychiatrist talk to me about nonsense, "I think that'll be all, Mrs Zhang." She nodded as she stood up and left the premises. Nonsense. I didn't care what Mrs Zhang said, what she couldn't explain was why the fuck did keep a fucking child locked away? Yes, I had respect for Mrs Zhang, the family psychiatrist for generations and generations before, but it didn't answer my question.

Making my way downstairs to the living room, I found Matteo and Alessandro impatiently tapping their feet on the floor as their eyes were watching at the 65 inch curved TV mounted into the wall as the Disney movie, 'Mulan', was playing. I noticed that there was a small figure of a rolled up blanket shaped as a ball; catching the figure fixated on the screen.

As soon as I made my presence known, Matteo and Alessandro whipped their head towards my direction and without hesitation, they instantly stood at my presence. "Morning, Boss" They stated in unison with respect. I could tell that they could no longer wait for what I had to say as they hadn't had rest since we infiltrated Lashkov and this child. Their eyes had drooped lowly as the visible under bags were displayed along with the redness shown within their untested eyes.

It was currently eight thirty in the morning as I made an all-nighter wondering why Lashkov had a child and as well as I had Mrs Zhang mentally test the child for half an hour. Since then, I ordered Matteo and Alessandro to keep an eye out for the child.

I nodded at both men as I mentioned the child, "Has she behaved?" The men both nodded as I looked at the child still fixed on the TV. Sighing heavily, I hesitantly made my way up to the little girl.

"Boss, are you sure?" Matteo questioned sternly as hesitance radiated off his aura because obviously we didn't know what to do with a child.

Hell, what the fuck do you do to a child? "Well do you have any ideas on what to do?" I asked boldly with a hint of plead. Pleading. For the first time in my fucking life, I actually didn't know what the fuck to do? How in the fuck did my life become so fucking shitty? Especially dealing with a child who I had no knowledge of.