Chapter 22: The Hunt (Part 1)

This chapter is in celebration of reaching 1K reads! Thank you guys!

The only way to track the treasure was through its presence. That was nearly impossible to do. It was like tracking a person in a crowd according to how happy they are. You most probably can't see it, or hear it. You have to feel for it.

After the General's howl everyone had dispersed in different directions. I was headed towards the north portion of the forest and immediately climbed onto what seemed to be the highest tree. I barely carried anything with me, so the climb was hassle free and quick. The top most branch looked to fragile to bare my weight so I settled into the branch below.

The view that greeted me was quite disappointing. It was stunning of course, don't get me wrong. I had full view of the ominous looking castle and the snow covered forest that seemed to stretch for miles. I could even see the outline of a few mountains in the distance. But I couldn't even find a hint of where or what the treasure was.

Suddenly a barely noticeable brunette head peaked from a distant tree top. I couldn't help the smile that broke through.

I see you Ray, I whispered in ghostly way through our mind link.

The brunnette spot momentarily dissaperaed and I couldn't help laughing at the idea he'd fallen.

Seriosly Willow?! Ray scolded

I see that I've trained you well, I replied ignoring his reprimanding.

Yeah, he reluctantly agreed, first thing to do in this type of situation is to see it from different perspectives. Any idea on it?

Even if I knew, I wouldn't tell you buddy, I mocked before quickly cutting off the mind link.

Discussing training with Ray suddenly brought forward a memory.

"There's more to being a wolf than just biting and clawing, Cathy" my mother's melodic voice said. She was the only one who called me by my middle name and I'd always treasured the way she said it. "We didn't just inherit the wild nature of our animal counterparts. We have their connection to the deep earth as well, and a werewolf has a bond with the mythical realm. You just have to concentrate to feel it."

The memory of my mother came with a searing pain in my chest and I momentarily lost my grip. I felt myself slipping but couldn't do anything in the middle of a panic attack. The cold air stung my face as I fell and my rigid form hit the ice with a nearly silent thud. I couldn't even focus enough to see if I'd attained any injuries. All I could think about was her.

I got my eyes and shape from her. I even sounded like her. She was a beautiful she-wolf and she was so thoroughly missed. Lavinia Moonclaw was not just any Luna. She was a warrior and most of all, she was a spirit wolf. Spirit wolves were extremely rare and had the ability to sense things that others couldn't. Wolves detected threats and other wolves through sent, sight and smell. Spirit wolves on the other hand could sense the presence, or soul, of a person from miles away. They could also study their soul and understand what type of person or being the owner of the soul was. I wasn't born with a soul wolf. Violet was an Alpha breed warrior through and through. But back when... when she was still with us, my mother used to train me. She taught me how to see and feel like a spirit wolf. She said that anyone could do it, if shown the way.

So as painful as it felt, I brought forward every memory of her training. As the years passed I'd locked away everything about Lavinia Moonclaw and the wonderful mother she was. It just hurt too much to remember.

Rising to my feet, I inspected myself for any injuries. I was still in a daze but a biting snarl from my left snapped me out of it.

My gaze landed on a snarling grey and white wolf. It was a beautiful coat and the perfect camouflage in this environment. Too bad it revealed itself. And it was threatening me. How insulting.