Chapter 6: Something unexpected

"Welcome to Russia, Alpha Moonclaw. The Royal Family of Lupin welcomes you. " was the somber greeting a received as I stepped out of the private jet with my Beta at my side.

A lot had happened in the past week. I'd introduced Martha and the gang to my pack, of which they were official members of now. As predicted Calvin is now one of my head warriors and has promised to update me on the situation of my pack's safety while I'm away. Joshua and I had dug up some interesting dirt on different packs that were attending while Silvia just shook her head every time we gasped at something juicy. I'd officially met with my pack in a series of meetings and they had gone along smoothly enough. Their were a few members who were rightfully hesitant to accept me but I hope when I get back I could work on building their trust. On the other hand the pack training had gone wonderfully. I'd made friends with many warriors and sparred and defeated a lot more. I had earned their respect because they knew an Alpha that was defenseless could not protect the pack and I was anything but defenseless. In the end, saying goodbye to everyone was hard even if it were for a month. Martha cried and made me swear to come back to her in one piece and the rest hugged the living daylights out of me. Sienna and Collins swore to look after the pack in my absence to the best of their ability and both blessed me goodbye. Ray's family had embraced him and his mothers eyes had shone with the idea of her son coming back with a mate. And so after a very long flight, we had finally arrived in the cold wastelands of Russia. Could the Royals have chosen a further country to be in?

The tall wall of muscle that had greeted us was clearly a warrior and not used to running errands. His failure to even mention Ray who was standing next to me and the openly lust full daze his eyes held as they swept up my floor length body con dress with its high slits were enough to make my blood boil.

"Watch where your eyes wonder or you'll soon loose them, warrior" I growled, flashing my canines at him. He seemed momentarily stunned at my voice and threat but quickly scrambled away to open the door of the white limousine.

"This is why everyone thinks you'll never land a man, Alpha." Ray chuckled but quieted down when shot him a glare, though his grin still held. It's not that I haven't been with other men. I have. I've dated and slept with a few weres and humans while in Browning but none of them lasted. They all wanted more than I could give and seemed to be more interested in my riches and body than my mind and soul.  So I enjoyed them when I could and disposed of them after.

The limo ride consisted of a two hour journey from the private landing site, and it all passed in a blur of stark white and the occasional green. Ray and I were quiet through the ride caught up in our own thoughts. I knew even though he pretended to not care that he was hoping to find his mate. He had been devastated when he turned eighteen and she wasn't in our pack. He'd drunk dialed me when I was working in my office at Carter and co. dry heaving and sobbing through the phone and my heart had broken for him. He thought I might be his mate since I was not in the pack but after sniffing some of the things I'd left behind it was confirmed that I wasn't and he wasn't they only one upset about that. And now was his chance. The Court was one of the biggest social gatherings with weres from all over the globe. China, Argentina, Germany, Sri Lanka, London, every top ranking wolf from whatever pack that existed was to attend and so the chance of mates being found or marriages being forced were quite high. And while Ray was praying for a mate, I was praying to Selene that I would not find mine because a mate was the last thing I needed on my already full plate.

"We have arrived" the driver, who looked much nicer than the idiot that greeted us, announced as the vehicle pulled to a stop.

The door was opened by an older looking wolf with greying hair but kind blue eyes. I smiled at him as I exited the car as gracefully as I could. Image was everything here, Sienna had said and boy did her words ring true. I stood in front of the towering castle, taking a moment to take it all in. This was the place where my parents met. The beginning of my story. I heard Ray let out a low whistle as his gaze fell upon it. Couldn't blame him, it was a magnificent sight. The stone and glass structure was at least ten stories high and it radiated power and old magic. I'd heard that the slightly withered rocks the castle was built of were enchanted and were strong enough to stop an army of rogues or vampires were they ever to threaten us. Heavy red curtains concealed the interior of the place and its secrets. Secrets that we were about to dive right into.