Chapter 7: Storming around

I ran.

I ran like the ground beneath me was fire instead of ice. I didn't wait to hear if my howl was being reciprocated or if the owner of the howl was following me. Goddess knew who it belonged to and my gut was twisting in all directions along with my wretched heart. It was beating a mile a minute and felt like it was squeezing its way up through my windpipe. I jumped to a random balcony on the first floor, probably causing a security alert, and continued my way up till I reached my own. I quickly scrambled into my room, head-butting the closed doors, shifting, spinning around and slamming them shut as fast as I could. I leaned against the closed doors taking in ragged breaths. The goddess had definitely not meant for wolves to climb; we were creatures of the ground and I had just chimpanzeed my way up the palace. That just took care of my work out session for today.

After I had considerably calmed down, I slid away from the doors and walked towards my bedroom, snuggling under the covers in nothing but my birthday suit. The exhaustion from the previous week, the long flight and my run decided to hit me just then, my eyes weighing down heavily from lack of sleep. I would think about the mystery howler later. Right now, sleep was priority uno. Goddess I missed Martha and the rest. Sometimes when I felt down or just stressed they'd all invade my room and sleep on whatever surface that first caught their eye. Martha on the bed with Kevin curled at her side like a kid, Calvin sleeping like a starfish on my soft carpet, Sylvia and Joshua cuddling on the spacious couch and me with snoring softly on my desk. They were simpler times and sometimes I would give up everything to be like that again, but that isn't going to happen and I don't think I could ever give up Violet.

You better not, Violet whispered and it was the last thing I heard before exhaustion seized my body.

.......................................................................................................

Hmmm...their lands are quite vast, Raagen commented at the blurring white and brown landscape as his large golden brown form weaved through it.

We share America with Alpha Moonclaw, though lately we've been dealing with the Beta rather than the Alpha. We'd have an even larger area than the Royals if we could take the absent She-Alpha's lands, his human explained growling in exhaustion, don't make me explain that again Raagen. We've had this conversation too many fucking times.

They had just reached a rocky snow covered terrain and the instinct to dominate lead them to the top of the largest rock. Two pitch black irises took in the surrounding, and the beasts dominant scent was unveiled to let the other predators lurking around know who they would be messing with. The falling snow started soaking into the lonesome Alpha's coat as the quiet landscape stared back at him.

All the land in the world would not be worth it, if we have no mate to share it with, Raagen whined his heavy head dropping. He could feel his human's despair that mirrored the hollow of their shared chest.

If the goddess Selene wished us a mate, she would be with us by now, and we wouldn't be standing alone he growled at his wolf angrily.

And as they had done every night for the past eight years, Raagen threw his head back and let out a long lonesome howl towards the iridescent moon.

Just as they were to leave, an answering howl cut through the thin winter air. It wasn't uncommon for a howl to be answered or reciprocated but there was something about this howl that tugged the Alpha's soul so strongly that before he knew it he was bolting though the thick snow in the direction of its origin.

That howl... Raagen whined, begging for some explanation from his human who was even more thoroughly confused...it's calling us. 

He finally reached the enchanted walls of the west wing of the palace where he caught the most enticing scent lingering on the snow.