Let's hang out more

//suicide, implied self-harm, toxic/negative thoughts

Ted glared at himself in the mirror, his shoulders slumping in a sigh. After last night's existential crisis, and questioning whether life was truly worth it, he could barely muster the energy to hate himself today. However, the universe just had its ways, didn't it? He sucked up his self-pity, straightened his tie, and furiously rubbed at his cheeks, willing away the sleek tear stains which still remained.

"Teddy! It's time to leave for school!" Felix called from downstairs. Sparing himself one more glare in the mirror, Ted rolled down his sleeves, and trudged down the stairs. He didn't so much as glance at his brother before heaving his backpack over his shoulders and shuffling outside. They only lived a few blocks away from school; they could walk there in ten minutes at most.

Felix stared at his twin, before realising what he was doing, and hurrying to catch up with Ted. No matter how much he denied it, Felix honestly cared for Teddy - he just didn't know how to express it, so would always end up berating and putting his brother down. He was... worried. Ted had been acting like this for a few days now.

"How're you today?" Felix droned, knowing that he would get the same answer every day.

"I'm fine," As always, Ted replied half-heartedly, "What about you?"

"I'm worried about you."

Ted glanced at Felix, vaguely confused and somewhat shocked. Felix continued walking, oblivious to the look. Either that, or he was very good at ignoring it.

"You shouldn't be; I'm fine." Ted looked down at his feet once again, awaiting an answer from Felix which never came. They walked in a borderline-uncomfortable silence until they reached school. Mumbling their 'see you later's, the brothers parted ways, to their lessons.

Throughout the entire day, Felix couldn't concentrate. He knew that his grades had been slipping recently, but his mind was too busy whirring with concern, for him to remember the quadratic formula.

However, Ted also lost focus more than usual; he didn't see the point anymore, in examining the character differences between Piggy and Ralph in Lord of the Flies. If he was going to be gone soon enough, what did it matter?

As soon as the final bell rang, students flood the hallways like a tsunami, pushing and grabbing each other to get through. Ted took his time packing his equipment into his bag, before slinging it over his shoulders and mumbling a word of thanks to the teacher. The chaos had died down when he stepped out of the classroom, and he sighed in relief as he trudged to his locker. Felix was already waiting there for him, as he did every day, leaning against his own locker and reading a book. Divergent. One of his favourite books, of course.

Staying silent, Ted stood patiently as Felix bookmarked his page ("Anyone who folds the corner of the page, instead of using a bookmark, has made a special place for themselves in hell") and slid the book into his satchel. They began walking once again.

"How was your day today?" Felix asked, desperate to strike up a conversation as they left the school gates. Sure, walking in silence had a sense of comfort to it, but it was also strangely... empty. Like it needed to be filled.

"Okay." Ted replied, obviously disinterested. Felix waited to be asked how his day was in return, but to no avail.

"My day was alright too," Felix got tired of the silence again, "I had Mathematics first, and we studied the quadratic formula some more. What did you do, in English lit?"

The silence stretched.

"...I also had Ethics and Philosophy today. Mr Roberts and I had a debate in the middle of class, over whether the Christian God could create a rock which he couldn't lift, or something similar." He would never usually act like this, but something had clicked in his brain, when he saw how awful Ted had looked this morning, "He was arguing that-"

Felix was cut off by Ted, wrapping his arms around him in a tight hug. Stumbling back slightly, Felix regained his footing and hugged back.

"Felix," Teddy began, slightly muffled by his brother's shoulder, "Remember that, I always love you. I'm always here for you. Okay?"

Shocked into near silence, Felix snapped out of it when Ted let go, stepping back.

"Theodore, I love you too. You're my twin brother. But... you've been acting strangely..."

"I'll tell you when we get home."

Ted smiled - truly, genuinely, smiled - and giggled when he saw Felix's expression. Grabbing his arm, Ted dragged his brother along, smiling. Felix ignored the dark undertone to it.

As soon as they got in the house, Teddy rushed upstairs to get changed, so he said. Their parents were out for the day on a business trip, so Felix kicked his shoes off and relaxed on the couch, checking his phone.

It had been ten minutes; Ted was still nowhere to be seen. Felix had long put down his phone, instead finding some crappy comedy series to leave on as background noise, and staring at the ceiling. Growing more bored and anxious, Felix turned the television off, standing and making his way upstairs. Teddy had a tendency to get easily distracted, especially when in his bedroom. Felix knocked.

"Theo? Are you okay?" Felix asked, only to be greeted with silence. He tried again.

"Theo, this isn't funny. Say something." The increasingly rapid knocks didn't seem to be helping.

"Please, c'mon. Open up."

"Theo?"

"Are you even in there?"

"I'm coming in..."

The door creaked in the dead silence.

"Theo..?"

"Theodore?!"

"Theodore!"

The room was empty. The only thing there was a scribbled note, clenched in the fist of Theodore Huxley's hanging body.