Numbness

Felix Huxley was many things. An heir to his father's company; a hard-working businessman; a mature and academically excelling student. He was a man of logic and reason, and he was a prime example of the ideal teenager.

At least, that's what everyone else saw in him.

On the outside, Felix was a stone-faced robot, who rarely ever showed emotion, spare for the occasional glare or smug grin. Although many people would kill to be like that, Felix thought otherwise, and wanted nothing more than to be able to wear his heart on his sleeve.

As a matter of fact, Felix hated his inability to show compassion. He envied his classmates, who giggled in their friend groups, over inside jokes or stupid puns. More namely, a certain blonde boy, who never does anything but smile.

Nugget Prentiss was also many things. The son of a caring family; a casual slacker; a carefree pupil, passing with Cs and Bs, and a few 'missing' homework assignments. He was an outsider, being loud and eccentric, and the other classmates spread more than enough rumours about him.

Felix had never believed in 'opposites attract' until the moment he laid eyes on Nugget's smile.

However, in love or not, Felix had a reputation to uphold. He plastered on the same emotionless expression, simply dragging himself through the day, no matter how he truly felt. It was a heavy, built-up pressure on his shoulders, to stay solemn.

It was a regular recess at Kind Garden High School. Some students were resting on desks, asleep; others were playing football competitively; a small group were lighting cigarettes in the back corner of the field; and Cindy had just shrieked about finding a dead mouse, which a class of biology students were gathered around, examining.

Felix shook his head, slumping his shoulders in a sigh as he turned away from all of the chaos, his gaze eventually landing on Nugget. The boy was sitting cross-legged in a circle, playing a card game with his small group of friends: Lily, Protag (a nickname), Billy, and Ted, Felix's twin brother. Swallowing his pride, Felix approached the cluster of friends, tapping Nugget's shoulder lightly.

"Hey, N-Nugget..?" Felix addressed, cursing himself for stuttering, as Nugget turned and tilted his head, "I need to talk to you. In private."

Nugget nodded, a look of slight confusion on his face. Placing his cards face-down, he stood and looked at Felix, who was tangling his fingers together.

"Lead the way!" He exclaimed, grinning. Felix hesitated, wondering if this was really worth it, before turning on his heel and beginning to walk. He lead Nugget to the small area with the dumpsters, constantly reminding himself that he could do this.

"So... what is it?" Nugget prompted after a moment of silence. Felix sighed, not being able to bring himself to look at the other in the eyes, instead settling for staring at his feet.

"Nugget... I'm in love with you." Felix stated, closing his eyes, "I was wondering if-"

"Nugget doesn't feel the same."

Felix blinked a few times, finally looking up at Nugget, who held a sorry expression. He had half-expected rejection, but to be shot down that bluntly?

"Nugget is sorry, but Nugget has a crush on the pretty Lily." He stated, before turning and leaving.

And then, in that moment, Felix found the true feeling of numbness.