Dream Job

This morning has been a drag, my usual breakfast stop where I meet with Jake didn't happen as I slept in and class has been slow. But Colby is bringing me lunch and it's the only thing I care about right now.

"Here we go." Colby takes a seat across from me on a picnic bench I have acquired outside the psychology building, he hands me my favourite chilli fries from the shack and I gasp before tucking in.

"So you're working?" I ask, watching him take a sip from his milkshake. He shakes his head, "Nah but I knew you loved those and haven't been in what, 24 hours?" He mocks and I roll my eyes.

"How's class?" He asks, I wipe my mouth before answering. "Fine I guess..we're working on our projects, they're coming to an end shortly." He looks at me with a blank expression so I clear my throat and continue to eat. His eyes remain on me and I can't tell if he is thinking about what I said or thinking about something completely different, he's so mysterious, I don't think I'll ever adjust to it.

"So Jake is leaving psychology?.." I lift my head from my food. "Yup, Found a job in advertising apparently. So now I have nobody to rant to about awful assignments." I laugh to myself, "I'm here." He smiles awkwardly, "Yeah but I figured it wasn't your...thing" I shrug and push the left over fries to his side of the table for him to finish. "It isn't but I l- Enjoy your company so why not" I don't comment on his flushed cheeks from his stumble of words and wipe my face from crumbs instead.

"True. Maybe" I wink at him.

Lunch has been a blessing, I definitely enjoy spending time with Colby, I don't think it's possible for me to ever get tired of it. I rest back in my chair and place my notes for my assignment out in front of me, the lecture hall is quiet so I use the time to continue writing.

Some say that surrounding yourself with those that keep the mood light and humoured, are those you want to keep. I understand why the Sad Little Boy and his blonde best friend found comfort within each other's company, even when miles from home. But the boy didn't open up to his friend, in fact, he did the opposite. He bottled up all his thoughts and emotions so that on the front he was portrayed as a strong, fearless boy. But I didn't think that, when his piercing blue eyes first glared into my soul in the dorms of UCLA, I realised my life was about to change for the worst or the better and his life was just getting started.

He wasn't shy, or sceptical about approaching me. In fact, he was brave and cocky, until I told him what my dream job was. Then he took off from my sight and the fear flashed upon his face at the thought of someone digging deep into his deepest secrets, but that didn't stop me.

I let out a breath of air that I didn't know I was holding, staring down at what I have written I feel a sudden rush of regret come over me. I'm writing down from an outside perspective of how I met Colby and the more I think about it, the more vulnerable I may make him if this story escapes this class, even without the name drop, it's pretty obvious.

I gather my things and rush to the desk in which Professor Cowden is sat at, "Professor..can we talk outside?" I ask, gesturing to the corridor. He stands to his feet and leads the way.

"Is everything alright Ms. Michaelson" I stare down  at my feet, "I don't think I can do this project" lifting my head I continue, "Its wrong sir..none of us here are professionals. I don't believe I've helped my client at all, because the thing is..I really like my client. We've bonded and he..opened up to me about personal things because we grew such a strong relationship." I bite my lip from my sudden burst, He looks at me confused.

"With all do respect but I think this whole thing was a bad idea sir..I've seen first hand the amount of people that need professional help on this campus and trust me, none of us can offer that." I clear my throat, he nods.

"I understand. But Aliyah..I don't make up the assignments for this class. This is all protocol for the major that you, dreamt of. If you can't do the project you're risking your final grade." He folds his arms, "But I can tell you're really stressed about this.." I nod, "Hand me in a small draft of what you think is the correct way to go about mental health on campus, it doesn't have to be a long essay just enough to prove to me that you have at least learned something this semester, I'll take a look at it and maybe we can come up with some sort of agreement to make up your final grade. But I'm only doing this because you have came forward to me." I let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank you Professor, promise it'll be on your desk in the morning." He nods and I take off down the hall to catch some fresh air.