Life Choices

The sun has completely set by the time I find Roselyn and we find our way off the beach back onto the sidewalk. The pier lights still glisten but it's empty. The alcohol has almost definitely worn off and I'm grateful as Rose seems to be sober too.

"Are you wanting that pizza tonight?" I question, pulling out my phone to check the time. It reads 10:30pm.

"No, You're good. We'll make up for it over the weekend." She laughs quietly, I proceed to call an Uber and we take a seat on the sidewalk.

"You know, you never told me why you wanted to attend UCLA" Rose asks, turning to face me slightly.

Looking at her I frown a little, "Oh yeah, Guess it never came up. Well, I always wanted to travel the states before I was too old. Los Angeles is always someones dream. So I spent a lot of time thinking in High School if I wanted to join an ivy league school or move out here and study" I explain, she nods understandingly.

"I see I see, The way you explained your life back home in Phoenix I pictured you as a rich girl who's parents had her whole life planned out for her" she chuckles and I join.

"Yeah well, my mom tried but both my parents attended UCLA so when I mentioned I wanted to follow their footsteps, they were over the moon. Having money never changed them" I explain.

The Uber doesn't take long to show up, The beach has began to clear by the time we head off back to the dorms. The drive back seems slower than the way to the beach and I find my head getting heavier with exhaustion. I'll be lucky to make my afternoon classes tomorrow. I had plans of going to the gym in the morning but I guess those are out of the window too.

"Here you go girls" A raspy male voice sounds through the car awaking me and Roselyn, We must've drifted off to sleep.

"Thank you" I call through the cab window as I agree with Rose to pay. Walking into the dorms I tell Rose I might take a shower before bed so I can rest longer in the morning, she tiredly disagrees and tells me she's going straight to bed without a change of clothes. The halls of the dorms seem louder than usual as people return home from the pier, I really hope the showers aren't busy. I grab my toiletry bag, a pair of sweatpants and one of my dads baggy t-shirts he let me steal before heading down the hall.

The shower room has one other girl who seems to be finishing up, thankfully. I take my time to strip off and enjoy the warm water as it hits my back. I've enjoyed the first couple days of college but I also feel like I'm drifting away from the goal of why I'm here. To major in Psychology and return home to Arizona. I think back to the beach and my interaction with Colby, Although he is incredibly attractive I can't let it distract me from my plans. I internally make a deal with myself to avoid him at all costs unless it's school related. After washing my hair I shut the shower off and dry off quickly, throwing on my clothes I take my time to brush my teeth in the mirrors.

"Wow, Did you see Colby tonight?" A voice echos through the room as the door opens and a couple girls enter. I continue to brush my teeth, listening discretely.

"Yes!" The other girl squeals excitedly. "I definitely thought you would be spending the night with him again Jayde" She adds, I frown slightly, finishing off brushing my teeth I decide to brush out my hair.

"No No, I'm over that. He's pretty fucked in the head y'know" she laughs, I push my things back into my bag as they turn the corner, one of the girls is tanned, long blonde hair. The other has auburn bobbed style cut and many tattoos. Both look very intimidating. "Hello" the blonde says bluntly as I realise I'm standing in their way, "Oh sorry" I move around them about to head for the door.

"I saw you at the beach" She adds as I turn back.

"Oh really?" I say.

"Yeah, You were with Colby." She smirks slightly causing me to frown. "I wasn't with him he just helped me out for a few minutes" I add.

"Whatever, I'm sure you heard our conversation. I wouldn't waste your time girl. Sorry I didn't catch a name?"

I shift from left to right before answering, "Uh..Aliyah, Aliyah Michaelson"

"Hi, I'm Jayde" she smiles and points towards her auburn friend, "This is Iris".

I nod with a small smile before stepping back, "Nice meeting you both. I best head off to bed. Classes tomorrow" I turn towards the door, they don't add anything else. As I walk out I can hear the faint laughter coming from both girls. Seriously.

---

I awake before my 11am alarm. By the time I awake Roselyn has already left for her own classes. I still have an hour before I have a lecture so I take the time to get dressed and call my mom. I'm wearing a light pink t-shirt dress which I match with white vans and a white denim jacket. I curl my hair at the ends and put on a bit of light makeup, finishing it off with some perfume.

"Hey Mom" I chirp down the phone as she picks up.

"Honey! Oh how glad I am to hear your voice. Did you have fun last night? Were you safe?" She asks but without showing too much concern.

"Absolutely. We didn't get up to anything too crazy and I was back home in bed for 9. I even managed to fit in some studying" I lie, fiddling with my bag as I talk through the phone.

"Wow, I'm so proud of you Ali." She says with a pause, I laugh quietly, "Are you crying again?" I ask and she laughs herself. "It's been strange around here without you. The boys have been a great help with their chores but I haven't had much girl talk".

I smile "I'll be home for the holidays before you know it." grabbing my bag which is now full of books I sling it over my shoulder, grabbing my keys I head out the door.

"Ok well honey, be careful. Enjoy class and don't do anything I wouldn't" I nod even though she can't see, thinking about the crazy stories she used to tell me of her drunken college days, Ironic.

"I know mom, love you." "Love you too sweetie, goodbye" I hang up the phone, placing it into my bag.

"I know mom, love you" I hear someone mock behind me, I stop in my tracks to let them catch up.

"So funny Colby" I roll my eyes as we walk together.

"Well, we're on the same floor. You really should keep your soppy conversations for the bedroom" I look ahead with a frown and ignore him.

"What, no come back?" He laughs and I stop walking. "Are you going to follow me the whole way to the Psychology department like you did yesterday?" I ask seriously, staring up at him. His face drops and I realise it may have came across rude. But I made a deal with myself to avoid him at all costs.

"Fine Fine" He steps back, "I'll take the stairs, you take the elevator" I frown as he walks back where we came from, sighing, I press the button and await for the elevator to come. What is with this boy and me easily triggering him.