Disbelief

"Did the doctors question Mitch's state?" I ask, fiddling with my sweater. "Nah, I just said I found him." He shrugs and I look ahead.

"I'll give you a text before you go to sleep ok?" Colby reaches over and places a quick kiss on my lips as we pull back up outside the dorms. He's going to meet Sam for some late night soccer and I'm going to finish some more of my project.

"Don't do anything stupid." I warn him as I climb out the car, taking the left over pizza with me. He tells me he won't as I rush up the stairs and into the warm dorm lounge. I need to speak to Jake and figure out where his heads at, we haven't been in contact much lately and he hasn't been putting effort into class like I thought he would've been. I must admit, his appearance and certain things I have been finding out about him recently has made me think he isn't suited for this career path.

"Hey." I smile at Rose as I enter the dorm, placing the pizza box on her bed which she sits forward to retrieve. "How was it?"  She asks, I take a seat on my bed and begin to tell her what happened. I finish off explaining that we took Mitch to the hospital before my phone begins to ring, Jake's name flashes up on the front of it. "Jake." I say, Rose sighs "Hear him out I guess.." I stand to my feet as I answer.

"Hello." I say bluntly, I heard Jake's heavy breathing for a moment before the panic in his voice appears "Aliyah!" My heart sinks. "What the hell Jake, What the fuck have you got yourself into?" I question, a frown appearing on my face.

"I know it looks bad but you have to understand I did it for your sake." He says, I shake my head in disbelief. "My sake? You beat the shit out of that guy by the way. I'm surprised he's alive." I take a seat on my bed to calm down, the urge to yell still fighting me.

"Brennen wasn't happy Colby stopped doing his dirty work, he was going to take it out on him today for buying so much weed and not paying and I got myself involved because I cant let that fucking happen to you or Colby." I take in what he said, I know he's telling the truth but the whole situation seems to unreal to me. I feel like I'm being pranked or I'm part of a movie, this is insane.

"You do realise that lowering yourself to his level is dangerous Jake, Colby was talking about taking Brennen down and I don't mean burning the fucking warehouse and destroying his business, I mean law enforcement take down." Jake goes silent and I suddenly regret saying what I did, finding this out has shown that not everyone can be trusted and Brennen might just be on the way to beat up Colby right now if he heard that.

"I know what I'm doing." He finally says, I scoff and he continues "I'm quitting psychology and taking up a advertising job that Tara has caught for me." The frown on my face doesn't leave as I listen to him.

"Oh? I thought psychology was like..your dream" I look at the pile of books and notes from class that are on my desk, it was my dream too but since I got here it's not been my number one priority when it should be. "I don't know anymore Aliyah. Don't you ever just think you've had your whole life planned out for you but coming here, a place of opportunity and meeting all sorts of different people. You start to realise that there's more to life than mental health."

He's missing the point as to why people choose to take up psychology, one of the main points being that mental health doesn't receive a grand amount of publicity as it should do. I took up this career to bring more therapists into this country, and because it's in my nature to help others.

I listen to his apologies before telling him that he needs to get himself out of the mess before it starts to get worse. "I can't believe he's giving up college for a job in advertising." I say, throwing my phone to the other end of my bed. Rose laughs, "Look, he'll realise he made the wrong decision ten years down the line when his job doesn't pay as much as psychology could have. Don't worry about the decisions he makes." She's right, I do worry too much about other people's lives.

I glance outside at the darkness and sigh, Colby is out playing soccer and I'm ready for bed, we're so different yet we make each other's worlds whole. "So, halloween is of course Thursday, Kat's parents are in town over the weekend so the Halloween party we've been waiting for an invite for is being held at a mansion Kat hired for Saturday." I nod. I almost forget that the end of the month is on approach and my first semester is closing in on me.

"Whenever you're free during the week we'll take a trip to the mall and find some costumes. Ones that of course, are even better than the last costume party" I laugh as I think back to that monstrosity. Deciding to get back on the grind of my project tomorrow I grab my toiletry bag and head off for a shower before a much needed early nights sleep.