Twelve

Location: Gyeongju, South Korea
Time: 3:24 pm

It has been 18 hrs. since Taehyung was reported to have been missing. The officers in charge of the case are on full alert, waiting for possible call from the kidnappers.

The police had gotten a lead behind the threat the doctor had been getting for the past weeks.

They have arrived at the conclusion that whoever wants Taehyung dead has something to do with Annie White, the owner of the item the killer had sent.

Officer Namjoon and Hoseok lead the case. They have found where Annie's nanny lives, and they're going to interrogate her.

It took them an hour or so to get on the countryside, a bit far away from the city. It was a small town with few people who basically know each other.

Officer Namjoon asked one of the villagers if they happen to know a certain Judy So, and luckily, the woman is not hard to find.

They were lead in front of small house, with its walls unpainted and a huge black dog guarding near the front door.

Hoseok surveyed the perimeter as Namjoon went a bit close to the door, when the dog suddenly starts barking.

"Woah! Easy boy.." Namjoon backed away a little when the dog suddenly leaps but was restrained by the chains around its neck.

The dog's barking intensified, making the person inside open the door a little.

"Who's there?"

A voice of an old woman came, barely a whisper but Namjoon was able to hear. The officer quickly changed to his formal facade as he turns his attention to that small aperture from the door.

"Good day, Ma'am. I'm officer Kim Namjoon from Seoul Police Station."

The door slowly opened, revealing a middle aged woman who looks afraid. "P-police?" She stuttered as she finally opened the door wide.

"Don't worry, Ma'am. We're just here to interview you for the case including Dr. Kim Taehyung." Namjoon informed, and immediately saw the woman's face light up from the name.

"Dr. Kim? What do you mean?" The woman's face is full of confusion. It had been a long time since she saw Dr. Kim. After Annie's death, they never got a chance to see each other again.

"It's a bit confidential Ma'am. Is it okay if we come inside your house?" Namjoon suggested, which the woman allowed.

"Oh, sorry officer. Where's my hospitality. Come! Come inside." Ms. So holds the dog's leash to stop the animal from attacking the police officers, who immediately went inside the small house.

They were offered water and biscuits as they sat on the couch opposite to the woman.

"So, what's this about? How can I help you?" Ms. So asked.

Namjoon quickly answered. "You see, Mr. Kim Taehyung has been missing." He started, earning a gasp from the woman.

"O-oh my.."

"Yes, and before he went missing, he's been receiving death threats and the likes from a hired killer. Based on what we found.." Namjoon showed a picture of the ancient hair design they received.

"This item here.. It's familiar to you, right?" Namjoon inquired, eyes trained to scrutinize the reaction of the woman.

Ms. So gasped, hands trembling as she stared at the picture. "T-this is... I can remember this.. This is Annie's." Ms. So exclaimed, voice suddenly full of sadness at the mention of the child's name.

Namjoon nodded his head. "This was sent by the killer."

Officer Hoseok suddenly butts in, not wanting to prolong the conversation. "You see, we think the people behind this have a huge anger toward Mr. Kim. After learning that Annie died during the time Mr. Kim is her doctor, we thought of possibilities." He said straight to the point.

Ms. So got the message as clear as the day. "You think Annie's parents are behind this? Is that why you are here? To ask me about them?" she concluded, face showing confusion.

Officer Namjoon nodded. "Yes. Do you happen to know where they are now? Their identities?" He took out his pen and paper to jot down the information they can get.

Ms. So looked down. "Annie's parents already migrated overseas a year after her death. They were so brokenhearted to lose a child, yes, but officer, I can assure you that they don't have anything to do with this."

Namjoon and Hoseok waited for her to continue.

"Annie's death was so long ago. Why would they come after Dr. Kim now? And besides, when little Annie died, her parents did not blame Dr. Kim. Actually, they were even grateful for the love he has shown to their daughter." Ms. So suddenly remembered something and stood.

She went inside her room and returned after a while with a picture in hand.

"They sent me this 2 years after they settled down in America." she handed the picture to Namjoon.

It was a picture of a happy family, a father and a mother, with a baby boy in her arms.

"You see, they got another child, Adan. They were able to accept Annie's death years ago, officer. I don't understand why they would suddenly come back to haunt Mr. Kim." Ms. So stated.

This actually has come to Namjoon's mind when he's studying the case. It seems illogical that the one behind this case wants the doctor dead for an incident that happened way back.

Why now?

Is it really because of Annie's death, or was it only a way of the killer to trick them into thinking that way.

However, they can't just rule out the involvement of Annie's parents just because of a nanny's testimony.

"We really can't conclude that they don't have anything to do with this. In the meantime, as we sort out more evidence, can we expect your cooperation as the need arises?" Namjoon asked, staring at the woman's face.

Ms. So nodded her head. "Of course sir. I'm willing to help."

The officers took on more details of the family's identity. They asked few more questions before finally deciding to leave.

"Thank you Ms. So." Namjoon extended his hand for a handshake that the woman accepted. Hoseok did the same.

"I hope you find Dr. Kim. He's such a good man to be experiencing something as this." Ms. So muttered, voice full of worry for the said doctor.

"We will, Ma'am."

Namjoon and Hoseok quickly went to their police car, when the radio suddenly beeps.

Namjoon took the call.

"Yes, Officer Kim speaking."

"Sir, when are you returning back? We've received something from the killer."

Namjoon and Hoseok looked at each other, both astounded.

"We're heading back."

------

The police station was chaotic when the two officers arrived. Officer Lee quickly runs toward them, briefing about what happened when they were away.

There was a file sent to their email. No message or anything, just a video from the killer.

Namjoon immediately went inside his office with Hoseok and Lee following behind. They quickly sat in front of the monitor and clicked on the video that was sent by an anonymous account.

The police officers stilled upon seeing a man sprawled on the bed. Their eyes widened as they zoomed in.

It was a video, alright.

A video of the doctor himself.

------

🥺

Be ready for the next chapter.