Part 1: Gerry

Gerry woke up feeling slightly dizzy. He hadn't had much sleep last night. Max kept going back and forth from the bathroom. He remembered he had a business meeting to attend to at 8 am, he checks his watch.

"6:45" He said to himself then leaped out of bed and into the shower.

15 minutes later he was at his kitchen. His wife, Lucy was cooking breakfast. Gerry drank his usual black coffee while reading today's paper as usual.

It was the same routine over and over again. He was getting tired of it. Don't get him wrong, he loves his family more than anything but sometimes he feels like he's been trapped. He can't do anything besides work his ass off.

He doesn't want to take a day off because he doesn't want to pass the work to someone else, he wants to do everything.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" Lucy said. She noticed that Gerry wasn't himself that morning. She knows that something was bothering him.

"Yeah." Gerry said as he snapped out of his thinking spree.

"Are you sure?" Lucy asked.

Gerry gave her a nod then proceeds to finishing his coffee, takes his paper with him and kissed his wife and son goodbye.

Gerry went into the garage to get his car. Tossed his newspaper at the passenger's seat. He gets inside, fastened his seatbelt, starts the engine, checks his behind and drove off.

Every single day, Gerry had to wake up and do all these things in order. He felt like a robot but he didn't want to stop because this is his life and this is all he has. He doesn't particularly love his job but he's very good at it.

Gerry arrives at the airport, luggage on hand, he waves at Andrei, his assistant.

"Is he inside?" Gerry asked Andrei who then gives him a nod of approval.

Gerry walks up to the plane and sees Mr. Woodall sipping on a glass of scotch. He came near Mr. Woodall and offer him a handshake, Mr. Woodall accepts his handshake and asked Gerry to sit down.

"Gerry, I need you to manage a business for me in Vegas." Mr. Woodall said.

"Vegas? But I live in New York." Gerry protested.

"That's were the restaurant is. You'll have a weekend off every month, don't worry." Mr. Woodall said in order to calm Gerry.

"But, my wife and kid." Gerry said.

"It's the job, Gerry. Take it or leave it." Mr. Woodall said as he continued to finish his drink.

Gerry looked outside for a bit. A part of him objects to accepting Mr. Woodall's offer but another part of him says it's right. Gerry focuses his eyes on Mr. Woodall's for a while then nods.

"Good. Let's go have a look at it, shall we?" Mr. Woodall said as he motioned his hand to the stewardess.

"Welcome to Las Vegas, Gerry." Mr. Woodall said to Gerry as he raises his arms pointing to the surroundings. Gerry thought it was too early to appreciate Vegas' beautiful outline.

Gerry reached for his pocket and took out his cellphone. "Hey, honey, I'll be coming home late. I love you." Gerry said leaving a voice mail for his wife.

They arrived at the unopened restaurant a few minutes later. Gerry was amazed at the restaurant's location, it was in Vegas but it had a different vibe, it felt familiar and secure.

He inspected the place with Mr. Woodall's explanations in the background. The place was almost ready. He lifts up a wine glass and inspects it.

He sat down for a while, asked for a glass of beer and suddenly, he was thinking about the life he had before he was married. He was a fun guy. He used to be Mr. Popular when he was in college. Girls were chasing him. He travelled all around the world without caring about anything. He got everything he wanted. He was the perfect man. He's handsome, rich, he's nice, very smart and wise.

He met Lucy in college. She wasn't popular at all, she was always at the library. He noticed her when they were paired up to report in one of their classes. Gerry was reluctant at first when he felt something for Lucy. But then after graduation, he pursued Lucy and she accepted. They were very much in love all before Gerry became so busy at work that he wasn't at home almost all of the time.

What happened? He thought to himself. He used to be so happy and content.

"Kid, are you okay?" Mr. Woodall asked Gerry.

"Yeah. Just thinking about home." Gerry admitted then chugged on the remains of beer in his glass.

"Well, you won't be home for a while when you manage this business." Mr. Woodall repeated his warning.

"I can manage." Gerry said. He's being honest to himself. He actually can manage. Honestly, he wanted to do this. He was happy to be working in Vegas.

**

Gerry came home at 4am the next day. Lucy was awaken by the sound of his car entering the driveway.

"Sorry, I woke you up." Gerry said as he gave a kiss on his wife's forehead.

"How did the meeting go?" Lucy asked his husband who was then taking off his necktie.

"We'll talk about it later, I need to go and get some sleep. Try, at least." Gerry said not wanting to give the news to his wife for a while.

Lucy didn't answer back. She was still tired anyways. She quickly went back to sleep. Gerry went to bed as soon as he was finished changing.

**

"I've accepted a job in Vegas." Gerry said to Lucy without missing a beat. Slightly tilting head to avoid seeing Lucy's reaction.

"Okay." Lucy said.

Gerry looked at Lucy. Why is she so calm about this? Last year she was so mad when he went to Europe for 4 months. Is something wrong? Gerry didn't want to elaborate Lucy's thoughts. He was afraid to find out what Lucy was thinking about.

"Okay." Gerry said then proceeds to finish his coffee and continued to read his paper like he normally does.

~~~~~~

Hi Guys! So I've started an original fiction story again. I always get this ideas and turn it into stories but I never get to finish them.

So, this one. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna finish. I promise. I've set an outline for this story ( a thing I never did with my other stories ) so.... yeah.

I hope you won't get tired of reading my stories although they're pretty lame and poorly written. Not much of a writer but I want to share my ideas with you. Hope you continue to support me!!! :)

Love,
Luckystriked :)