Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

Robin.

She looks thinner then she did the last time I saw her, but she still has her long, brown hair. For a minute, I'm focused on worrying about her, instead of the pain.

“Hey, Niall” she says. “You never called me.”

I want to laugh, but I know it'll hurt if I do, so I settle for a smile.

“I was home for a day” I point out.

“Still” she says, grinning. “I wanted you to call me.” She walks over to my bedside and takes a seat in the closest chair.

“Hit the call button if you need me” the nurse says, and then she leaves Robin and I alone.

“I've been waiting for a week” Robin says conversationally. “I mean, I don't know you that well, but you seemed cool before, so . . . please don't think I'm creepy!”

“I don't think you're creepy” I say. I want to laugh again, but I don't.

“Well, that's a relief” she says, grinning even wider. “I was really worried about you.”

“Are you okay?” I ask her, looking her over again. She's definitely thinner then last time. And her cheeks look sort of hollow.

I'm worried about her.

Really worried.

Maybe a bit more worried then a friend would be.

“I'm fine” she says, but I'm not convinced. “You got shot, Niall. Does it hurt a lot?”

“Like hell” I mumble. “Apparently, getting shot in the stomach hurts.” Robin laughs.

“No kidding” she says, smiling at me.

She looks like she wants to hug me, but she doesn't.

And a huge part of me wants her to hug me, but the rational part is saying that it would hurt a lot.

As soon as she mentioned being shot, my stomach decided to bring back the stomach-stabbing pain.

“I'm sorry” she says. “Pain sucks.”

And I get the feeling she knows exactly what she's talking about.

-

An hour or so later, Louis, Liam, and Callin visit.

The look on Louis' face, when he limps into the room on his crutches . . . it's amazement. Like he though . . . or maybe feared . . . I wouldn't wake up.