Chapter Ten ~ Love Was Meant To Last

Start from the beginning

Skulduggery's gloved hand kept Valkarie grounded, stopping her mind from overflowing with thoughts of Fletcher. His thumb drew small circles on the back of her hand, it was like a dam holding back how much hatred and other feelings she had for the stupid haired teleporter.

They drove away from Roarhaven, the trees and grass gradually turning brighter, roofs higher, clearer skies and more cars. The smell of that red blossom had almost gone from the Bentey, a light tinge still lingered on her jacket. Valkarie had to strain against the urge to rip it off her back, tear it into a million little pieces and walk away. Truth be told she just didn't want to let go of the hand on hers.

Skulduggery didn't say anything, and Valkarie was glad that he didn't, she needed time to think, and he respected that. It suddenly struck her, just how lucky she was to have him, the one that she loved, most people wouldn't get anything even close to this.

She looked up at him, with a sudden feeling that she was making sure this was all quite real, feeling it was honestly too good to be true. Valkarie waited for the world around her to blur, fade into unconsciousness as she woke in the hospital. Instead, as if he'd felt her eyes on his skull, Skulduggery looked at her, tilted his head and squeezed her hand, bringing her back to reality.

"I love you." this time was no different from the first, he literally took her breath away as a hurricane of butterflies stormed up inside her. Blush streaked across her cheeks but she kept her head up, wanting to go on looking.

Valkarie hadn't even realised that the car had slid silently into Skulduggery's drive way until the engine cut out. She blinked, disbelievingly, had time passed them by that quickly? Usually she noticed everything, except now...

He even opened up her side of the car door for her, leading her into his house. Valkarie felt like blushing, but found herself calm on another unexpected level. Skulduggery busied himself making tea in the kitchen while Valkarie fell into the nearest sofa, her previously calm mind filling suddenly with a million questions.

What would happen now? We're they going to live together? Was he her boyfriend, no, too strange... What were they going to tell everyone? Do they? Would this last forev-

Yes.

Valkarie didn't need the answer to that question, and she didn't need any of the other questions answered now either. She knew and remembered how being with and without Skulduggery, love didn't feel any different. Right now. It didn't matter how many questions there were, or what they asked, all that mattered was the man making her tea.

Right on cue, Skulduggery walked in, a mug of tea floating behind him to land on a nearby table. Ignoring what would usually amaze her, Valkarie held her arms out to him, completely unafraid now. Wordlessly, he sat down beside her, pulled her up so that she was curled half on his lap, head on his chest. She smiled into his rib, Skulduggery seemed to sink further into the sofa.

CRACK!

Skulduggery leapt up, dropping Valkarie as gently a he could back onto the sofa, looking towards the kitchen. Valkarie stood up too, looking from him, to the doorway, half expecting some assailant to streak out any second. Dusk. Instinctively she edged closer towards Skulduggery, straining her ears for another sound. Nothing. Looking right, she could tell by Skulduggery's clenched fist that his gun was elsewhere, if this was Dusk, they didn't stand much of a chance...

CREAK...

There it was, the indication of a trespasser that they'd been waiting for. An impatient creak, as if whoever it was just couldn't stand still another moment. In perfect unison, she and Skulduggery moved in opposite directions towards the empty doorway, Valkarie felt for the connections in the air, wanting to be ready for whoever, or whatever, was edging around the kitchen...