Chapter 51 : Hope

Start from the beginning

For once, the flight wasn't going to be boring.

The fresh breeze welcomed me as soon as I left this huge airport from which I almost lost myself. I couldn't help smiling like an idiot and I didn't care what people thought. I hopped in the vehicle that was waiting for me and took me to the hotel I had previously stayed in. Since I landed late in the afternoon, I took the opportunity to rest at the hotel by doing some research on how I was going to get there the next day. I was surprised but happy to see that the publishing house was only a 15-minute walk from my place. I did some research such as the contact number and saw that it was better to make an appointment. It was too late for me to do it, but I'll do everything to talk to her. I had to apologize and tell her how I felt. The funny thing was that I didn't even consider how Ruby Jane felt about me. But I don't think that's one of the things I had to worry about now.

I lay gently under my blanket facing the window that gave me a view of the city. Indeed, I was on the 29th floor, so I could see the high bright buildings at night. They weren't as different as in Seoul, neither were the people. In the morning, they would rush to public transport and spend the rest of the journey on the phone while in the evening, they were completely different. It was as if they only came to life at that moment.

With a sigh of contentment, I closed my eyes knowing that in a few hours I would finally see her again. 

I hope you'll forgive me.

The light that passed through the curtains ticked my eyes. I grumbled and turned around in bed while trying to avoid the sun that was rising. But remembering that today was the big day, I jumped from my bed running to the bathroom where I grabbed my towel on the way. In a few minutes, I was ready. I looked in the mirror because I had a hesitation about the color of the shirt but I finally adopted something simple and clean. Before leaving the room, I checked that I had my phone and wallet on me as I would probably stop by the florist's before I met her.

I didn't know if I was running or walking fast, but I quickly found myself in a florist where there were a lot of people, especially since the staff were all busy preparing bouquets, each one as pretty as the other. I didn't have to wait long for a young man to come and ask me what I wanted to buy. He wore a checkered shirt with black jeans from which a long apron covered him, the name of the store was written on it.

"How can I help you?" 

"I would like to buy flowers but the problem is that I have absolutely no idea which ones to take. Could you advise me?" he walked around the counter to get close to me while holding his chin as if he was thinking about finding the best flowers.

"When our customers don't know what to buy, we always ask them questions. There is a 99 percent chance that the person you are offering will appreciate them. But I'm going to try something new, describe the person to me," he claped his hands and smiled that I can see his pearly teeth. I didn't know that buying flowers could turn into a psychological session or it was just a new way to sell the flowers.

"I don't know if my words could describe her perfectly, but in short, she is both pretty, cute and sexy and would make you lose your mind as soon as she meets your eyes. But it is not only her physique that is attractive because she is super intelligent and mischievous that you see her eyes shine with a thousand lights. But behind this strong and independent woman image, she had this childish and clingy side that it was impossible not to find it adorable. And then her cheeks... her cheeks are so damn soft that it made me want to kiss and pinch them all day long. Also her eyes... I swear to you, her eyes can kill you instantly. They look at you so intensely that you are hypnotized and you never leave."

"This person is lucky," he simply said as if he was about to shed a tear.

My head scanned the top building in front of me with the name of the publishing house written in big letters. This building was probably intended to accommodate thousands of people. I took a deep breath and tried to calm the beating of my heart that was about to come out. A reception was on my left. Two women and a man were behind their screens, one of whom was on the phone. So I headed towards the one in the middle because she seemed to be the least busy at the time.

"Hello, I know you normally have to make an appointment, but is it possible for me to talk to Ruby Jane for a few minutes?"

"You mean Miss Kim?"

"Yes, Miss Kim."

"I'm sorry, but right now she's on break and won't be back at the office for an hour and a half," the 30-year-old woman in a purple suit says to me with a sorry look.

"It's okay, I'm gonna w-"

"Yes, I'm near the seats at the entrance... Okay see you then."

I stopped speaking when I heard the voice I had been asking to hear again for two months. I didn't need to turn around to know it was her. Behind me, Ruby Jane was still as resplendent as ever with a white shirt tucked into a black pencil skirt that showed off her delicious legs. I felt like I was falling in love with her a second time. And the only thing I was thinking was how I could let her go that day.

"Ruby Jane," was the only thing I could say. It was like a whisper but she was the only one who heard me since she froze on the phone. She slowly face to me with her wide eyes like she just has seen a ghost. 

"Lisa," she answered with a whisper as well. I walked slowly towards her, everyone around me was walking in slow motion. I couldn't hear or see anything except Ruby Jane standing in front of me. Honestly, I didn't know what to say, I was far too surprised, nervous, and dazzled by her sweet face.

"I'm sorry. Come back with me... please," I said with a pleaded look but her softened eyes had turned monotone and serious. 

"I can't. You should go home, Lisa," she now said in a cold, stern voice. A voice I wasn't used to hearing.

"Please, I'm sorry. Give me a chance to explain myself and I promise you everything is-"

"Hi my beautiful Queen! Are you ready?" a man's voice came out of the entrance and that voice frightened me because I recognized it too, "Oh Lisa! What a surprise! What are you doing here? Are you here for a trip with your family?" Akio excitedly asked me. My throat had tightened as I began to grip the bouquet of flowers in my hand.

"Yes, she's on vacation with her wife and daughter and she wanted to come say hello to me. So baby, I'm getting hungry, let's go?" she placed her arm around Akio. My eyes were burning at the sight of this gesture and the fact that they were so close. I could feel a punch in my heart that I couldn't even think anymore.

"Huh? Ooookay, let's go then... It was nice to see you, Lisa," he made an apologetic smile and lead Ruby Jane to the exit. I had not realized that I had held my breath until I dropped the bouquet of flowers on the ground. I didn't care if they had shattered because they didn't matter anyway. All my hopes had fallen by the wayside that I was lost again.