Chapter 51 : Hope

LISA'S POV

I'm going to see her.

I was finally going to be able to see her again. Sitting in the aircraft preparing to take off, I suddenly found the seats comfortable. Unlike last time, I was excited and nervous but it was positive this time. I no longer felt lost, I knew what my intentions were and how I was going to do it. I simply couldn't believe that I would really see her again after almost two months without being in touch. I couldn't hold my place so much that the hostesses thought they had a retarded person on board. But I was much too happy that I had nothing left in my mind but Ruby Jane. But all this would not be possible without Yaya. Although it may sound strange, she was the one who helped me.

Flashback

...

"Were your feelings for me as strong as they were for Ruby Jane?" she didn't say anything. She had that hesitant look again. Honestly, I wanted to cry but I needed this talk with her if I wanted to start a new chapter in my life.

"I can never compare, what I feel is just different. You were my first love and I was of course madly in love with you and Ruby Jane has been a new flame in my life. I didn't know all this time that I could experience this kind of feeling," she unconsciously smiled to the last part. My heart arched knowing I wasn't now the reason of this beautiful smile. I had become so attached to her, I had gotten used to being the reason for her smile and the sparks in her eyes but when you realized that you were no longer her source of happiness, the world just comes crashing at your feet.

"I know where Ruby Jane is."

"What?" I ask her with a disoriented look on my face. My heart had suddenly increased in speed and my hands were sweating. It's like I'm waiting to hear the results of my photography contest. Stress and impatience were present. 

"I know where she is."

"How?" I had trouble making long questions. Of course, I didn't know where to start and what to ask since all the questions that had been on my mind from the beginning were coming at the same time. 

"I had Mina on the phone, she said that A- she said that a friend of hers who worked in a publishing house in New York had recently hired new authors and among them, Ruby Jane happened to be accepted. Apparently, the team was impressed by her presentation."

"And... and did she tell you where this publishing house was?!" I was so excited that I felt like I was jumping all over the house.  

"Of course I asked, dummy," she chuckled and took a piece of paper out of her purse and handed me. Yaya had noted the address and name of the publishing house. This piece of paper that looked insignificant was suddenly worth all the gold in the world.

"Holy shit! Thank you, Yaya!" I hugged her tightly and squeezed her tiny body that she cried out and begged me to release her because she couldn't breathe.

"Promise me you'll win back her heart no matter what," she squeezed my hand. I didn't get why she looked so serious, but I just nodded. Of course I wasn't going to give up until she agreed to come back with me.

End of flashback

The most painful wait of my life was finally coming to an end. I don't think I've ever been so excited since I knew I was finally going to leave the student status and start working in the profession of my dreams. 

Admiring the clouds as the plane passed through, I dumbly dreamt of Ruby Jane. I wondered if her skin was still as soft and fluffy as those clouds looked. How she felt about finally being able to realize her dream. If colleagues were friendly to her knowing that she came from a completely different continent. If life in America was the way she imagined it would be and if she preferred Seoul. If she found all her books in libraries. All these questions I wanted to ask her. Realizing that I might forget them, I took the paper bag, which was under my seat, it was provided in case you wanted to throw up. So I started to list my questions as if I was making a wish list for my next Christmas gifts.