Epilogue

Sunday, April 3, 1921

My Beloved Pegleg,

Daphne finally wore me down and managed to persuade me to write to you. I' admit knowing you'll never read this makes me feel foolish, and I've half a mind to throw it in the bin this instant.

I've sat at my desk, staring at this paper for several hours tonight, choosing the words I allow my pen to scratch with such meticulous care that one would think I was writing a speech to be read before the world and recorded in the annals of history.

Do I talk of the day you left? No, I shrink from those memories. And yet, I struggle to speak of what it's like now that you're gone.

There's not a moment over this past year where I haven't thought of you, pined for your touch, or ached for another blissful day spent with you. But even I know the wisdom in heaven refusing such a wish. Should it ever be granted, I'd be incapable of allowing you to leave me again.

I've decided the problem with sitting at one's desk, writing letters to lost loved ones, is it gives one an unhealthy amount of time to think and dwell on the past.

And that's what I've spent the last hour doing. Staring at this damn sheet of paper, the words so carefully crafted in black ink they now bleed into one another, coalescing into your beloved likeness before my very eyes as your words echo within my mind.

It feels like eons have passed since you asked me, 'What if this is the beginning of something better than you could ever dream?'

And you, wise woman that you were, were right—it is because of you that my life exceeded anything I could have ever imagined. At least for the short time I held you in my arms.

Are you watching over the children and me? I admit there have been many times I've been sure you were here with me.

I miss you. Oh, how poorly those three words fail to express the intensity your absence is felt.

I love you, my dearest; I'll always love you.

Forever yours,

Everett

To be Continued...

Coming Soon:

Into The Sunshine
Of Love and Loss Series: Book Two

Dear Reader,

Thank you for taking the time to read this novel. I hope you enjoyed it! I'm always happy to hear what you liked or didn't like in my stories, so please consider leaving an honest review on . Your reviews influence other reader's purchasing decisions and help determine the success of my other novels.

Other Titles by BC Yancey:

Lost and Found

Deciding to take her life into her own hands after her husband dies, Lillian Reid travels west, hoping for a new start. But then her train is hijacked by outlaws, and she's fighting to stay alive.

Two neglected children find her months later in Old West Montana Territory, and she's nursed back to health by handsome rancher Sawyer Weston. However, when secrets from Lillian's past threaten their new-found happiness, Lillian and Sawyer must fight for the love they've found or lose everything—including their lives.

Breathe Again

What will it take for two people to make amends and admit they're in love?

After the end of the American Civil War, Sterling Hawkins returns home to be near the woman he's secretly loved his entire life, Dorothy Humphreys. When a house fire traps a recently widowed Dorothy and her infant son, Sterling risks his life to save them. To gain forgiveness for wrongs committed fourteen years ago, Sterling must prove he won't risk losing his last chance to claim love and happiness meant to be theirs. He only hopes he isn't too late.