27

"Where shall we go?" Elyria asked once they reached the bottom of the steps.

Everett let out a deep breath and closed his eyes, willing his leg to behave and not cramp up again like it kept threatening to do. "To the park?"

"Excellent choice," she smiled and reached out, taking his hand in hers.

He bit back a groan and started walking. Sweat broke out on his brow, but he didn't know if it came from discomfort or nerves. He'd thought long and hard over where he wanted to propose to her, including what he would say and whether he would get down on one knee.

"Is your leg bothering you?"

"Yes," he muttered, "I almost can't remember a time when it didn't." He'd have to forgo bending the knee. In his current state, he'd be lucky to stand back up.

She nodded and fell silent, giving his hand a sympathetic squeeze.

"Did you know Simon's entire office is covered in books from floor to ceiling?" He asked, trying to keep his mind busy.

Elyria turned to look at him. "No, I didn't... Daphne has talked about his book collection, but I didn't think it would be quite that extensive."

"I love to read; did I tell you that last night?"

She smiled. "No."

"My father hated that particular trait about me. Until the war, not a day went by when I didn't have at least two books with me at any given time."

She gave him a curious look, "Why two?"

He shrugged. "At first, simply because it drove him mad, and since I'd given up all attempts to please him, why not needle him instead? But then I started reading and took them with me so that I could start the other when I finished one."

"What do you enjoy most about reading?"

Everett pursed his lips before replying, "Probably what most everybody else reads a book for. The escapism... being able to be somewhere else, part of a life different from my own."

They crossed the street and entered the vacant park, and he immediately steered her toward her tree. It took only a handful of minutes before she turned to him and grinned. "My favorite spot is just up ahead."

"I know," he murmured, reaching in his pocket for assurance he still had the ring box.

"How?"

"A little birdie told me."

She laughed. "Does this little birdie go by the name of Anne, perchance?"

"Indeed, she does."

They walked in silence to the tree, and he swept the branches aside for Elyria to enter under the canopy.

She strolled to the bench and sat—as though it were the most natural thing in the world for her to do. And in a sense, Everett knew it must be.

An overwhelming fear she would refuse him took hold. Would she be willing to give up her life here, her home and friends, to spend the rest of her days with him in quiet Malad? Was it even fair to ask?

She'd lost so much; would it be cruel of him to rip her away from all she had left?

"You've gotten awful quiet," she said, looking right at him. "Is something wrong?"

Everett cleared his throat and limped to her, "No... just thinking."

She reached out for him. "What about?"

Taking her hand in his left, he reached into his pocket with his right and grasped the ring box. But instead of following his plan, he released the ring box and sat beside her on the bench. "How much I love you."