34

The following five days before the start of school were spent sorting through Elyria's belongings and crates of furniture she'd kept in storage while living with Daphne they'd sent ahead.

After getting everything sorted and put in its proper place, Everett set about helping her get familiar with the town's layout and her immediate surroundings. To do this, he took her on long walks, as often as his recalcitrant leg would allow, all so that she would have a sense of independence once he went back to teaching.

Each day they went out, the never-ending supply of well-wishing townspeople, eager to converse with her husband, never ceased to surprise her. She'd been so used to the cold efficiency of Washington DC making her invisible for so long that the friendliness and warmth hit like a shock to the system, albeit a pleasant one.

The night before school started, Everett's leg seemed to be bothering him more than usual. However, despite being in obvious pain and moving slower than usual, he didn't let it stop him from working outside around the house.

So, while he oiled hinges and fixed broken boards in the side fence, Elyria put herself to creating a special night for him in appreciation for all he'd done to help her feel at home and welcomed.

She spent the day using her new pots and pans cooking dinner. Salisbury steak with creamy mushroom gravy, sides of mashed russet potatoes and sautéed carrots, and freshly baked dinner rolls.

And just in case he was still hungry after all that food, she baked a two-layered yellow cake with chocolate frosting for dessert.

After setting the table with their new dishes and cutlery, she walked to the back porch and threw open the door. "Dinner's ready!"

There was a moment of silence, and then, "I'll be right in. Just give me a minute to wash up."

Elyria removed her apron and hung it in its designated place in the kitchen just as the door opened and Everett stepped inside.

He let out a low whistle and limped over to her. "Is it my birthday, and I didn't know it?"

She laughed and shook her head, tucking a lock of hair behind her right ear. "No, I just wanted to make you a nice dinner tonight to say thank you."

He took her into his arms and kissed her. "What for?"

Elyria caressed his stubbled jaw. "For being so good to me."

"That's because I love you." He kissed her again, then pulled back. "It's getting worse by the hour."

"You make it sound like it's an affliction," she chuckled.

"Maybe it is. But it's one I never want to be cured of."

Her heart squeezed painfully at his words, and tears stung her eyes. "I love you too," she whispered, "and I hope you like salisbury steak because that's what you're having for dinner."

"I do; it's one of my favorites at the café." He stole another kiss before they sat side by side at the table and began dishing up their food. "There's enough food here for a small army."

Elyria blushed. "I thought you might take some with you tomorrow for lunch—unless you had other plans."

He laid down his fork and reached for her left hand, "If you plan on eating with me, we have a deal."

She smiled and nodded. "I'll heat it and bring it over around noon?"

Squeezing her fingers before picking up his fork once more, he said, "Sounds perfect."

The meal, one of the best she'd ever made in her adult life, progressed with easy conversation interwoven with soft kisses.

"That was a really nice dinner, Pegleg," he whispered with a kiss to her cheek and stood. Then, as he cleared their dishes from the table, he asked, "You still wanting to go for a walk after I put the food away?"

Elyria grabbed the bowl of potatoes and carrots and placed them on the kitchen counter before heading back for the remainder of the steaks and rolls. "Actually, I thought you might enjoy relaxing here at home tonight... giving your leg a rest."

Everett took the pot and bowl from her hand, set it on the counter with a light clatter, then took her in his arms. "I sure do like you, Pegleg."

She hugged him and closed her eyes, resting her head against his chest. "Do you ever wonder where you'd be in life if we hadn't met?"

"You mean if you hadn't disobeyed Winters my first day?"

Elyria nodded.

"I'm pretty sure I'd be dead by now. I wanted it bad enough; I would have found a way to end my misery."

She clenched her eyes and tightened her hold around his waist. "Don't say that."

He shrugged. "It's true. My life was lonely and miserable until I met you—even the few parts I thought were bearable. But I was only existing, waiting."

Looking up at him, she cradled his face in her hands and brushed her thumbs across his stubbled cheeks. "In that regard, I think you and I were the same... even though I didn't realize just how lonely I was at the time."

"What did I ever do to deserve you?"

"Have you helped a gaggle of old women cross the street lately?"

He laughed and shook his head. "Nope, but I did save an entire busload of orphans this morning before breakfast."

Grinning, she pressed a kiss to his cheek. "There you have it then. The reward for saving orphans is one blind Pegleg who'll love and adore you for the rest of your life."

A low, playful growl escaped him before he cupped her jaw in his hands and plied her lips with a heated, driven kiss.

Moments later, he pulled away and murmured, "When you said relaxing at home tonight... does that involve you doing some relaxing with me? In the tub, maybe?"

She blushed and tilted her face up to kiss his chin and along his jaw, "I hoped you'd ask."