49

As March drew to a close with a deluge of spring showers and Elyria's prospective due date loomed only a month away, Everett found it increasingly difficult to ignore the mounting sense of foreboding.

Their lives were weeks away from being forever changed. While excitement hung in the air like an actor waiting in the wings for their cue, he couldn't shake the fear that when the time came for the babies to be born, something would go terribly, horribly wrong.

How could it not when considering what his life had been like up until meeting Pegleg?

The feelings of disquiet only intensified after each visit from Doc Gilbert, especially when his monthly visits increased to once a week.

And while he offered assurance that everything seemed to be progressing the best it could, Everett couldn't escape the looming threat that the lives of his wife and children hung in the balance.

Everett's silent torment grew each day, but he found himself unable to voice his fears for one simple reason. What if speaking them aloud somehow willed them into existence?

So, he put on a brave face and kept his worries to himself, hoping that, in the end, he would be proved wrong.

"Is your leg bothering you again tonight?" Elyria asked with a yawn, lying propped up in bed on her side by a mound of pillows, exactly where Doc insisted they be until the twins were born. "Any idea when we'll have the car back?"

"Not yet," Everett said with a wince as he sat to remove his shoes and socks. "But if Finn Davidson can't figure out what's wrong with it soon, I'll tell him to send the car to the scrap heap and buy another one."

Standing, he tossed his socks to the dirty clothes hamper across the room and unbuttoned his pants. "I probably should, regardless. We need one that's more reliable, with a little more room for our growing family."

After hanging his pants in the closet, he turned to his wife and unbuttoned his shirt. His hands stilled while he watched her rub her distended belly for a few minutes.

She looked exhausted and ready to burst, but there was no denying she remained the most beautiful woman he'd ever met.

His heart gave a funny little kick against his ribs, and he couldn't stop himself from saying, "I love you."

She bit back a grimace and smiled. "I love you too." Her hand pressed low against the left side of her belly, and her brow creased with a frown. "Looks like I might be in for another rough night."

He hung his shirt and walked to the bed in nothing but his cut-off union suit. "Anything I can do?"

She shook her head.

Crawling onto the bed, Everett laid down, settling a gentle hand atop hers on her belly. "A back massage, perhaps, or a few more well-placed pillows?"

"I appreciate the offer," She chuckled, "but I'm afraid there's only one thing that'll help at this point, and Doc said he thinks it's still at least four weeks away. Although, he doubts I'll make it that long."

"Why?"

"He's yet to see a birth involving twins make it the full nine months."

Everett's brow lowered in a worried frown. "He said that? He doesn't think you'll make it full term?"

She reached out and cradled his face. "You're worried."

Grabbing her hand, he turned and pressed a kiss to her palm. He fell silent, unable to gather the courage necessary to speak of his fears.

Clearing his throat, he changed the topic and asked softly, "Have you thought of any names yet?"

Elyria moved his hand lower, holding her breath and grinning when one of the babies kicked against it. "A few, but I can't decide between them."

"Boy or girl names?"

She sighed and adjusted her position, "Boys. Daphne said she thinks I'm carrying as though they are, according to how she carried both William and Orie."

Everett smiled. "Go on, let's hear 'em."

Elyria chewed on her bottom lip for a moment, then said softly, "I've always liked Norman and Preston."

"How about after your brother...or Marcus?"

She turned to him. "I'd like that. Stephen Monterose has a nice ring to it."

He rose up on his elbow and pressed a kiss to her lips. "And what if they're girls?"

"After our mother's?"

Everett grimaced. "Mine was never fond of her name. I'm not sure she'd approve of us passing Clarabella on to our daughter."

"Did she have a middle name? I don't remember," Elyria murmured, pressing a hand to her belly.

"Ernestine," He said with a nod as he covered a yawn and grinned. "I'm not sure our daughter would appreciate that as our choice."

Elyria chuckled and shook her head. "My mother's name was Sophronia; is that any better?"

"Slightly better," he sighed with a chuckle. "Rosie? Rosie Monterose?"

She laughed, "Or how about Monty Monterose?"

"Clearly, we still have some thinking to do," he snickered. "At this rate, they'll be lucky to have a name by the time they reach their first birthday."

Elyria sighed and closed her eyes. "Can I tell you something without making you worry?"

His stomach dropped to his toes—an odd sensation considering he was lying on the bed. Forcing down a swallow, he slowly nodded and braced himself. "Sure."

She took his hand and held it tight. "The past few days, I've had a recurring dream."

He frowned. "What about?"

She let out a heavy sigh. Then, turning to face him, she opened her eyes and whispered, "That I die during childbirth."

Every muscle in Everett's body tensed, and without thinking, he reached for her and pulled her as close as he could. Squeezing his eyes shut, he said the first thing that came to his mind and sent a fervent prayer the words were true. "It's only a dream."

"That's what Daphne said," she murmured, pulling slightly away. "You're trembling."

Heart thundering in his chest, he fought the nearly overwhelming urge to burst into tears and pressed a fervent kiss to her brow. "I must be cold; are you cold?"

She gave a hesitant nod but remained silent while he sat up and pulled the covers over them. Once he settled down beside her, she nestled against his chest as close as her belly would allow. "I love you a lot, you know."

Tears stung Everett's eyes and made it difficult to speak around the lump of emotion clogging his throat, but somehow, he managed to croak out, "I love you too."

Silently, he sent up a plea that her dream would not be an omen of events to come and fell into a fitful sleep with her in his arms.