13

Everett drummed his fingers against his left leg, wondering how long it would be before Pegleg returned. Kissing her had been a mistake—no, he corrected himself with a growing smile. The kiss itself had been absolute perfection. The only error came down to his timing and the location.

Reclining on his bed, he stretched his right leg out and rubbed his sore thigh muscles. Maybe he could persuade her to go for a walk outside, someplace away—

"I've got good news for you," Tabitha said, entering the room and intruding on his thoughts.

She rummaged around without saying anything further. What on earth was she looking for? There couldn't be that many objects left in here. He was pretty sure he'd broken or thrown everything out during his fits of temper.

"And that would be?" He couldn't help but ask out of mounting curiosity.

Tabitha walked to his bed, dropped boots on the floor, and set clothes on his lap. "You're being discharged. You get to go home today."

Panic twisted his stomach into knots and made him want to throw up. He couldn't go home yet, not without seeing Pegleg first. "But I'm not healed."

"You're getting stronger every day and in much better condition than when you first arrived," She said, patting his hand as though he were a child. "Now, Major Buchanan will be in to remove your eye bandages in a few minutes, so let's get you dressed and ready. I've brought a shirt, trousers, and a pair of socks... what shall we start with first?"

"I'm not a damn invalid. I can dress myself, thank you."

Tabitha took a deep breath before saying tightly, "Very well, Captain. I'll be right outside your door should you need any assistance."

"I won't."

"Well, just in case."

"Where's Pegleg?" He shoved the clothing off his lap and scooted to the edge of the bed. "Have you seen her? I thought she'd be back by now."

"Who—" Tabitha asked, then laughed nervously, "Oh, you mean Elyria. The last I saw her, she went with Nurse Winters to her office."

Everett grunted. "How long ago?"

"I couldn't say. An hour... maybe more." Her tone suggested she didn't want to discuss the issue further. Everett decided to relent for now.

After two failed attempts to dress without bending his bad leg, he had to get creative in order to pull on the socks and trousers. Then, sitting back down to button his fly, he took a minute to catch his breath before putting the boots on, almost wishing he hadn't been so stubborn and accepted Tabitha's help.

Using the corner of the sheets, he wiped his sweaty brow and then blindly fumbled around until he found the shirt atop the covers.

It took a couple of minutes working the right sleeve over his cast, but once he had it on and the buttons down the front were done, he almost felt normal.

"All done," he murmured, knowing she most likely had been standing there watching him struggle the entire time. "When do I get the cast taken off?"

"How about now, Captain?" The Major boomed from the doorway. He marched over to the bed, with Tabitha's mincing footsteps behind him. "Remove your shirt, and we'll get it taken care of first."

"But I just put it on," Everett muttered under his breath, peeling it back off.

Tabitha took the shirt from him while the Major cut the plaster cast off. It took longer than expected and required several instruments before the Major extracted his arm, poked, prodded, and finally declared it healed.