"If you need, I could find someone else if the work's going to be too much for you. I know you've got to stay with M-"

"Nonsense, Lys," Marcus interrupted. "D made a promise to stick with you and he will. You're not going to have Kudzai next season but I promise we'll try and be there for you as much as possible."

"What about your job?" I asked.

"I'm not going to be racing next season. I've already had the talks with my team and they think it's in my best interest that I take a year for rehabilitation and practice. Of course I'll do tests with them and all that, but I'm taking some time to look after myself." There was a hint of sadness in his voice but I knew that this is what he needed. He couldn't walk very well at this given time and wouldn't have sufficient time to train to get him back into his racing mindset. Marcus is sensible. He won't risk going back to work if he's not ready for it.

"Come and follow F1?" I suggested, nudging Marcus with my elbow. He smiled and lightly shook his head from side to side.

"I'll be with Kudzai. She's going to need all the help she can get when Esteban's away."

I stuck out my bottom lip and huffed. "Why are you such a good person?"

"I just look good compared to D," Marcus teased. The boy beside him gasped and clutched a hand to his chest rather over-dramatically. "He said he's going to stick close to you because he hates babies."

Damien's face scrunched as he nodded his head. "They're just so needy! I can't have any competition for the spotlight."

"Am I not competition?" I asked in amusement.

"Not until you win a race."

"I'm trying!" Our laughter was cut short by a ring of the doorbell. Usually, this wouldn't bother me, or even make my heart rate pick up, however it's the early hours of the morning. I checked my phone just to see if it really was morning (the blinds were drawn tightly closed in M's room) only to confirm it was only twenty past three in the morning. The three of us fell into a silence after Marcus paused the Tv, no-one daring to move.

"Please tell me one of you ordered late-night food and that's just them arriving," Damien's eyes were fixated on the door and I noticed he had a constricting grip on Marcus's hand. I wished I could tell him yes but wordlessly shook my head.

"Maybe they've gone? It might just be a prank of some-" The loud chiming of M's doorbell rang throughout the silent house yet again. Goosebumps started to appear on my skin and a nervous shiver ran through my body. This is one of the very exact reasons why I never liked staying on my own.

"D, go get it," I whispered, voice weak with fear.

"What? Why me?"

"I'm injured; Lys has the strength of a mite," Marcus answered for me.

"I'll come with you?" I suggested, hoping that he'd just gain some courage and say 'no'. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

Damien practically dragged me from the bed to tentatively head towards the door. We weren't making much distance since my body simply didn't allow me to take a step any longer than a thirty centimetre ruler. My arm was tightly looped around his and I tried my best to stay hidden behind his larger frame.

"Open the door." I gently pushed Damien forward and cowered in the doorway of the living room, using the shadows of the dark house to my advantage. His face was white with fear and his hand was trembling as he reached for the lock.

"Fucking Marcus hasn't fixed his fucking peep hole," Damien grumbled, eyes flickering between me, the door, and the umbrella in the stand beside the door. It was no surprise that he picked it up before turning the lock and creaking the door open. "Who the fuck is it?"