Chapter 41

Focus, Lys, get your head in the game.
I took a deep breathe as the last few minutes ticked down and it was time to start the formation lap. As predicted, the majority of drivers were on the ultrasofts which meant that they would almost certainly have more grip off the line. Because of this, I knew I needed to have a near perfect start or else I'll be coming under fire from the cars behind.

As I weaved around the track, I saw on my steering wheel that my tyre temperatures were getting high rather quickly. The team didn't seem to radio in so I doubt that it's a serious issue. Currently, the track temperature was in the high forties and expected to drop as the cloud cover moves over the track. All of the cars are probably having over heating issues since it is so hot out.

I tried to keep my distance from Grosjean so that my engine didn't get as hot waiting on the line. As the other drivers slowly filled up the back of the pack, my knee bounced nervously in the cockpit. I was surprised that the team hadn't radioed in but didn't think anything more of it - they're probably letting me keep my focus after seeing how nervous I was earlier.

The red lights began to appear one by one and I revved my engine. As soon as the lights went out, I gradually put my foot down on the accelerator to reduce tyre spin and released the clutch.

Considering my tyres, I had a pretty decent start. I had managed to jump Grosjean by turn one, and then his teammate at the corner after he had ran wide. The next car ahead was Max who, despite his good start, couldn't get past Daniel.

Surprisingly, there was a Ferrari going quite slow and keeping off of the racing line. As I drove past car number five, it was clear to see that the issue was a puncture since the wheel had split and was flapping debris around. I went as wide as I could when I overtook Vettel to avoid any chance of a collision or being hit by the debris. Knowing Seb, he'd nurse that car back to the pits and then fight though the pack.

I think moving up to P7 on the first lap alone was pretty impressive by my standards, especially considering the tyres I was on. The team were hoping that I'd be able to last longer on track than the others and have just one pit stop, rather than everyone else's predicted two. Usually by now the team would've radioed in to say which car was ahead (even though I know it's Max) and how far ahead they were.

The gap between Max and I began to level out the more his tyres wore out, well at least it seemed to since he was no longer pulling away and seemed a constant distance from me. Since he had pushed so hard at the start, his pace was matching mine by lap seven. Hopefully soon I'd be able to close the gap.

A> 'How big is the gap between Verstappen and I?'

I waited for the team radio response but heard nothing. Maybe I just didn't press the button properly? I tried again but still to no avail.

A> 'Can you hear me? I can't hear you.'

The nerves began to set in because a radio issue could cause so many complications. How will I know when to pit? How will I know if there's an issue? What if something goes wrong and I need help fixing it?

As I neared the start/finish straight, I began to hear a faint crackling in my ear, followed by a series of incomprehensible words. As I got closer, the words became clearer.

T> 'We have a communication issue. Using Pit Boards.'

A> 'I can just about hear you, I think it's because I'm closer to the signal.'

The team began to reply but before long I was rounding turn one and distancing myself from the pit lane, meaning that their message became faint and indistinguishable. It's rare that I have to use the pit boards since I'm usually so reliant on radio. I know that some drivers prefer it since it means they aren't being fed information every lap, but I'd rather hear it straight from the team. Force India are usually good, and only give information if necessary or I ask for it.