Chapter 83

The two hour break between practice sessions passed quickly and I was ready to go out on track with five minutes to spare. My splint was just able to fit under my glove and was therefore hidden from view. If someone knew about the injury, then they'd probably notice the bulge on my left hand but no one had pointed it out yet.

My biggest concern as I climbed into the cockpit was if I'd be able to make all of the tight corners. An upside is that this circuit has a lot of run off areas so I can afford to go wide if necessary. The last thing I want is to compromise my safety or any of the other drivers. I made a promise to myself that if the pain got too much, I'd come back into the pits and end the practice session early.

Rain was predicted to hit about fifteen minutes into the session however no one had any idea how heavy it'd be. There had been on/off showers for the past couple of days so it was thought most likely to just be a light drizzle where intermediate tyres wouldn't be needed.

T> 'Radio check.'

A> 'Sounds good.'

T> 'Got it. We're sending you out on the medium tyres to see how they hold up. If weather stays good, we may send you out on the softs just to get a bit more data for them.'

A> 'Should I push or reserve?'

T> 'Get the most out of the tyres while you can, we still don't know of the rain will compromise.'

A> 'Copy.'

I was one of the first cars to be released in the session as I had been lined up at the end of the pits. When I drove out of the pit box I could feel the discomfort in my hand but tried to push the pain to the back of my mind. My nerves didn't ease as I followed the Ferrari in front around the tight corners. It seemed as if it were slowly pulling away from me, however that could be down to the difference in horsepower, not necessarily my hand. I took a few deep breaths and tried to keep my focus on getting the best out of my tyres.

Usually I would enjoy putting the laps in but for some reason they felt like chores. I wasn't in so much pain that I needed to stop, however it was a fair amount of discomfort and certainly didn't make driving pleasurable. Luckily the team radio only transmitted what I wanted it too or else the team would hear me hissing in pain at every tight turn. I had only ran wide on two occasions which I told the team were down to misjudging the braking points. They didn't seem to question it.

T> 'The rain is going to hit harder than we thought. Be prepared for it in about two minutes.'

A> 'Should I come in when it does hit?'

T> 'Probably. I don't think you'll be able to stay out.'

A> 'Will I go back out in the session?'

T> 'Not likely. The rain is set to continue. Tomorrow will be dry so you can get your practice in then.'

A> 'I guess I'll make the most of the laps I have.'

To say I wasn't the slightest bit thankful that the session was being cut short would be a lie. Still, I pushed as hard as I could to get the most out of my tyres before the rain. It hit about two laps after the team had radioed in like a brick. Within a mere few seconds it felt as if I was driving on ice.

I pulled back into the pits very slowly. Whilst both of our Force India cars were going to be retired for the day, a few other teams decided to just change to the wet tyres. Renault, McLaren, and Haas kept both of their drivers out; Mercedes, Red Bull and Sauber, chose to keep just the one out; everyone else came in.