33. What to do next.

"That damn idiot!" I kept on mumbling to myself, seething with frustration and anger. How dare he have me locked up within my own house, feeling utterly helpless and consumed by worry for my brother's safety!

I opened the oven, carefully removing the ninth batch of mouthwatering chocolate chip cookies I had baked. The sweet aroma filled the air, mingling with the scents of two batches of cinnamon rolls, three batches of brownies, a delectable chocolate sponge cake, and not to mention twenty-six beautifully decorated cupcakes!

I had been desperately calling Kristen's phone since nine in the morning, my heart sinking with every failed attempt to reach her. Neither Mom nor Dad were picking up either, despite my persistent calls within the last hour, anxiously seeking information about Antonio. It seemed they already knew the reason for my call, and their silence only echoed my growing unease.

The clock struck noon, and the silence remained unbroken. No one had bothered to update me on the latest developments. Even Maria was allowed to venture outside, while I remained confined within these walls. It was truly unbelievable.

Was I truly so foolish to have done something irrational that warranted this lockdown? Starting tomorrow, I would be subjected to homeschooling. But was Maria being homeschooled too? No, the disparity was unbearable.

Resigned, I gave up any hope of escape as I glimpsed the fifteen guards stationed outside my house. They stood as a formidable barrier, ensuring my captivity.

When I woke up at 7:30 this morning, only one person was present at home—Vicky. She was the sole source of solace in this bewildering situation.

Sighing deeply, I contemplated the weight of it all.

"Anna, I think it's time you left the kitchen. I'm starting to grow genuinely worried about you," Vicky entered with a genuine expression of concern etched upon her face.

"I can't, Vicky. It's all my fault that Antonio has gone missing, and now I'm trapped here, left with nothing but prayers and hopes for his well-being," I confessed, my voice tinged with sorrow.

"Honey, it's not your fault. I was the one entrusted with watching over you guys, and I failed in protecting Antonio," she replied, her voice filled with a mixture of guilt and compassion. I embraced her tightly, recognizing that we only had each other for support in this trying time.

"How can you say that, Vicky? It's not your fault. Please stop blaming yourself. You couldn't have foreseen what was going to happen," I implored, my words laced with sincerity.

"Perhaps not, but I should have been more vigilant with you all. What if something terrible were to happen to him? I would never forgive myself," she admitted, her voice quivering with self-reproach.

"Everything will be okay. Antonio is a resilient young boy. He will undoubtedly overcome this," I sighed, attempting to inject a glimmer of hope into our conversation.

"Yeah, I know," Vicky murmured, her voice tinged with a mixture of uncertainty and faith.

Just as a wave of relief washed over me, my phone began to ring. Seeing Dad's name displayed on the screen, I sighed deeply and quickly answered, bringing the phone to my ear, eager for any shred of information.

"Hello, baby girl," my dad greeted me with a hint of warmth in his voice.

"Dad, cut the chit-chat. What's going on? Why hasn't anyone contacted me? Did you find Antonio?" I blurted out, my words filled with urgency and anxiety.

"Sadly... no, but we do have a lead on the case. Try not to worry too much, sweetheart. You don't want to have a headache, now, do you?" My dad attempted to lighten the mood, but my concern for Antonio overshadowed any trivial discomfort.