12 // back on the radar

Start from the beginning

"Well, if you're really sure about it," Ava said, but I could hear the skepticism in her voice. "And hi, Mrs. Mullen!" she greeted my mom.

Her and my mom got along surprisingly well. At first, I was even a bit scared for them to meet, but I was pleasantly surprised when Ava complimented my mom on her hair.

My mom was obsessed with her hair.

"Hi, Ava!" my Mom greeted back. "Nolan, you go sit there and don't touch anything while I clean this mess up."

"But mom, I'm perfectly able to —"

"Nolan, just sit down. How can you be so clumsy?" She shook her head and she grabbed the broomstick from my hands.

I sat there for a few minutes, listening to Ava talk about her life in college and stuff, before I got a text message. I went to check it, to find it's from an unknown number.

Unknown:
Hey there!
Thank you so much for being in my music video! I was wondering if you would like to come over to watch it with some other people. Let me know if you're available!

Unknown:
Oh right this is Genevieve by the way hehe 😋

She also sent me an address where I guess she lives.

"Nolan? Nolaaan, you there?" Ava's voice called.

"Yeah sorry, just got a text message."

"You have other friends?"

I rolled my eyes but didn't answer her. The answer was no, and she knew that very well.

"Genevieve asked me over for some celebration or something. I don't think I'll be going," I said, already starting to type in the response.

It wasn't that I had anything against Genevieve or something, but me, in a room full of people I don't know. The idea already gave me shudders. I'd rather be home during my mom's occasional hookups.

Okay, maybe not. But still, I would at least consider it.

"What? Why not?" Ava gasped. Even my mom looked up from where she was just sweeping the floor.

"Because I probably have other things to do."

"When is it?" mom asked.

I looked back at the message, only to realize it didn't even say a date.

And then I got another message.

Unknown:
Oh it's on Saturday, by the way. The video releases at twelve, but you can get here whatever time you'd like. See you then! Maybe.

"Oh," I thought out loud. "It's on Saturday." I frown made its way onto my face. As far as I knew, I didn't have anything planned this Saturday except for a gym session the morning.

"That's perfect!" mom exclaimed. "Just go, it'll be fun."

"Yeah! It'll be good for you. Make some more friends, you know?"

"Aren't you and Keith enough?" I sighed out. I really didn't want to deal with this.

"Some famous friends, Nolan. Some friends who understand your struggles and stuff. Who you can rant about paparazzi with."

"I can still do that with you two," I tried.

"You can, but do we understand?" Ava asked.

"Yeah, it'll be good for you, Nolan. Text her you'll be there," mom said, picking up the last bits of ceramic. I sighed loudly, just to make my point clear.

"Fine."

You:
Sounds great! I'll be there.

"Did it. Now can you guys stop teaming up on me?"

My mom smiled widely at me before leaving.

"Never," Ava answered dramatically.

author's note:

Hey there.