66 // better depressed

CHAPTER SIXTY-SIX
better depressed
•••

CHAPTER SIXTY-SIXbetter depressed •••

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

"These are like... five extension cords, Oakley. You sure this is safe?"

He shrugged, pulling me further along the trail. "It's not like we'll be touching it. Okay, now close your eyes," he said, standing behind me and covering my eyes.

I used tiny steps and Oakley made sure I went in the right detection.

"Should I be concerned?" I asked, my hands resting on top of his, still covering my eyes.

His breath grazed my ear as he laughed, the sound of his voice making the corners of my mouth perk up. He pressed a kiss against the skin behind my ear.

"No. Just relax."

We stopped walking, and Oakley removed his hands from my face.

He'd thought of everything. We had a screen, he had grabbed my laptop, somehow set everything up with a shit ton of speakers. The ground was covered in pillows and blankets. Like, genuinely so many it was probably a waste of money and resources. It was very soft now, though.

"Holy shit, Oakley. Why? I mean, it's really sweet and all, but why?"

"Because I was bored. And now I'm not anymore. Oh, and I can kiss you freely now," he said, pressing his lips against mine before I could even react. "I mean, it's pretty romantic, isn't it? I think we should go on a date every week. Like a genuine, romantic date like normal couples. The kind where you hold hands and get all close and cuddled up. I hate that we can't do it the normal way. Everything has to be dark and invisible."

His expression had fallen. He wasn't smiling anymore, instead, he looked a little sad.

"This is the closest thing I could come up with to mimic normal," he said, a gloomy smile on his face. He grabbed my hand and started playing with my fingers.

"What movie are we watching?" I asked, pushing him away slightly.

"Okay so first I was thinking something romantic, but then I was thinking about it and that would be so boring and depressing since they're all about straight people facing everyday issues and complaining about while we're here having those issues and then also the pressure of the public on our backs and the pressure of keeping all of our relationship a secret..." he took a deep breath as he ran out, and then continued talking. "So then I was thinking maybe something with more action but I didn't feel like it since I came up with a better idea that I think would be perfect and I think you would really like it too since we're all in the mood with the dark creepy woods aesthe—"

"Dimple," I interrupted him. "Just tell me what it is."

He smiled sheepishly at me. I hadn't noticed his grip on my fingers had tightened while he talked, but now that he was letting go, I had started to notice it.