73 // independent

CHAPTER SEVENTY-THREE
independent
•••

CHAPTER SEVENTY-THREEindependent•••

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀɪʟʟᴏ

When I woke up, I vaguely remembered Nolan waking me up earlier. It was only when I realized he was leaving that I really woke up. I checked my phone next to me, afraid he'd left without saying goodbye, but then the door to his bathroom opened.

"You're awake," he said with a timid smile.

"I'm awake." I let myself fall back into the pillows with a sigh.

"I was about to wake you up."

"I figured." I stretched out my arms. "How much longer until you're leaving?"

"A little more than an hour."

"Can you just lay with me a little longer?"

"Of course." He lied down next to me and I turned my face toward him so we could look at each other. An arm was tucked beneath his head, and the other one was resting in between us somewhat lifelessly, so I grabbed it and pulled it over my waist, and then I used my hand to brush some of his hair out of his face. He closed his eyes and I felt him relax his muscles.

"You can't fall asleep," I told him. He nodded.

"I know." He opened his eyes again. "I'm sorry about yesterday."

"There's nothing to be sorry about, Nolan."

"This time there is. I didn't mean to imply that there was no point in going on a date with you."

"I know. But I'm the one who should be sorry. You were going through something and I shouldn't have gotten upset."

"You had every right. You were just trying to calm me down and—"

I could help but let out a soft chuckle. "This isn't working. We can't keep apologizing to each other."

His expression started resembling mine, and he finally laughed too. "You're right. Apologies aside, I've been thinking about everything."

"And you should stop doing that."

"Let me speak, you asshole." He punched me in the shoulder playfully, and I took huge offense to that, so I did it back.

"Fine. Keep talking," I said. He rolled his eyes and stared at me, not saying another word. "Just say it, Nolan. I'll promise not to interrupt you again."

He sighed and averted his eyes away from me.

"What I meant to say last night was that I'm frustrated. I had my entire life figured out when I was thirteen. I knew exactly what I wanted. But my anxiety is holding me back. If it were my sober thoughts speaking, I would've been showing you off like a trophy."