Chapter Seven

Katie sat on her bed in the middle of rereading one of her favorite romance novels when her phone buzzed. She was shocked to see the message was from Mattthew. She wasn't expecting to hear from him but she wasn't disappointed by any means. She saw that he sent a picture but it wouldn't load on the home screen. She opened her phone and stared at the gray image and the white loading circle spun.
Her eyes went wide and her heart dropped when the picture finally loaded. She wanted to look away but her eyes wouldn't leave the image.
  She wondered why he would have sent her this kind of picture and she had no clue how to respond. She quickly typed 'WTF' and she waited despretty for a response.
Two minutes went by and she got no reply so she called him. Her heart pounded in her chest like never before as let it ring but no one picked up. She was growing more ances yt the second and quickly called back. This time he picked up on the second ring.
"Matt?" Katie asked in a panic. She had no clue what to say to him. "Hey Matt, you there?" She asked when she got no response. Her legs ran up and down each other in nervousness, and honestly she was a little aroused from the intimate picture she received from the boy she was crushing on.
"Ya ya ya, hey." She heard his voice from the other side of the phone. It was quick and nervous, though cute nevertheless.
"Hey." She said a little confused. "So what was up with that pic?" Her heart started racing. She needed to know the answer but was she ruining everything at the same time? Maybe Matt wanted Katie to send a pic back. Maybe this was his way of confessing his feelings to her.
"Ya, that wasn't actually meant for you." Matt said truthfully. He didn't have time to come up with a lie, not anything anything would make the situation better.
Katie's heart sunk and her top lip let go of her bottom. "Oh." To Matt's surprise she sounded disappointed.
"Ya, I'm so sorry." Matt said quickly. "That was actually meant for Lexi." Her heart sunk ever deeper than she thought possible. She heard him mumble something under her breath alone the lines of 'Why would you tell her that?' But she didn't care. Her heart hurt. Physically hurt like nothing she's ever felt before.
"Oh." That was the only thing she could say without bursting into tears. There was a small moment that night where she thought he might genuinely like her. Even with the drama at the end of the night, it didn't change the fact that Matt was going to kiss her. Then she remembered that's what Matt does. He plays with a girl's emotions and can't possibly ever really care for anyone.
There was a long silence and Katie closed her eyes and forced herself to say, "I should let you get back to Lexi then."
"I'm good." Matt said and even without seeing him Katie knew he had his stupid little smirk on. "We didn't get a chance to actually talk tonight."
Kaite smiled and started twirling her hair with her free hand. "Then what do you want to talk about?"
"Tell me everything about yourself" Katie knew she should say no, hang up the phone and go back to her book. She knew he wasn't worth the heartbreak her would inevitably give her, though she couldn't seem to bring herself to do it.
"Okay." And to her surprise she giggled.
They talked all night, smiled and laughed. They didn't get into anything too deep, though the time flew by and it was soon two oclock.
They were both lying in their beds and sleepilly talking to each other about everything that came to their minds.
"Well shit, we have to be up in four hours." Kaite laughed.
"Damn, I guess we should probably go to bed then." Matt yawned.
"Ya, I guess."
They both just layed there, neither one wanting to hang up but knowing they had to.
"Goodnight Mattthew." Katie said softly.
Matt laughed at her using his full name. "Goodnight Katelyn." Matt said back.
Katie laughed and shook her head. "Its Kathrin." She corrected him.
"Really?" Matt laughed. "You dont look like a Kathrin."
  "Is that in insult?" Katie grabbed her chest and pretended to be hurt.
"No, definitely not." Matt laughed back. "Its beautiful." He said more softly. "Just like you."
The words melted though Katie and she felt her body filled with warmth. "Your beautiful too." She mocked him.
They both laughed and exchanged their last goodnights.
They hung up the phone and they were both left with their thoughts. Neither one of them could deny their feelings towards each other, though they both had doubts. Katie knew Matt wasn't the type of guy to get into a serious relationship. She knew he would never be able to give her what she needs from a guy. And Matt knew that too. He couldn't get into a real relationship. He would never be able to tell Katie the truth about himself. There would be this constant barrier between them that would inevitably push them apart. He knew when it came down to it he would either way he would end up putting her in danger or hurting her, or maybe even both. He couldn't do that to her, but he couldn't let her go either. He was torn, he knew he should stop anything right now, that is what would be best for her after all, though he was selfish and he knew that. He knew he couldn't walk away from her.