20. Dance Competition pt. 3

Zane and Kawaii Chan make their way to the stage and Zane lies on the ground to begin. Kawaii Chan sits on her knees next to him. The music starts softly and Zane sits up carefully as it starts. He takes a deep breath and stands up, Kawaii Chan following him. He holds his chest like it's hurting and falls back slightly, but Kawaii Chan catches him and pushes his forward again.
     The song is bittersweet and the dancing is so calm and reassuring. It's a story of a harmed individual who's helped by another individual, it's so simple, yet so deep. It's so personal and the two of them express the emotions perfectly. Zane's hand is on Kawaii Chan's waist and her hand is on his chest and they glimpse at each other for a second, but seconds turn into minutes, then they can't look away.
     Then it's the part for Zane to lift Kawaii Chan. She runs, her feet silent as they hit the floor, and he catches her. He suddenly lifts her and soon places her back to the floor. He takes her fragile hand and watches as she twirls easily into his arms. Then he lets her spin out of his arms again as he slowly returns his position to the floor again. He sits, hugging his legs. Kawaii Chan slides on the floor on her knees and wraps him in a hug, leaving them in their finishing pose.
     The audience is loud, but it seems like everything has went quiet for the two. Zane looks and locks eyes with Kawaii Chan once again. Her eyebrows lift and she smiles kindly. The two stand up and walk off of the stage. Backstage is crowded, but they don't focus on that, they just focus on each other.
     Kawaii Chan takes Zane's hand suddenly and exits backstage to head to a shorter, darker hallway. She smiles nervously, her cheeks warm. Zane's blush appears over his freckles.

     "Kawaii Chan... I-"

     Kawaii Chan holds his face between her hands and flickers her eyes to his lips before flicking them back to his blue eyes. Zane hesitantly places his hands on her waist and she leans in and places her lips onto his. Zane's eyes close and he steps forward slightly so that Kawaii Chan's back in now against the wall. She pulls him in closer and runs her fingers through his hair, so soft, she thinks to herself.
     She loosens her arms so that they rest on his chest and she opens her eyes to meet his. His eyes are now widened and he breathes heavy.

     "Kawaii Chan-"

     "It's Nana.. Zane. Call me Nana.."

     "W..What?"

     She leans her forehead against his and smiles.

     "My name is actually Nana.."

     "Oh.. well.. Nana.. we just.... we kissed. I don't really.. well.. I don't know when we got this close and.. well.."

     "I don't know either..," Nana moves back slightly and looks up into Zane's eyes again with her brows lowered, "Are you upset?"

     Zane shakes his head and Nana smiles. She leans her head on his shoulder and sighs in relief.

     "Zane.. I really like you. A lot..."

     "Oh.. well... I think I'm starting to feel the same about you.."

     Zane wraps his arms around her and sighs contently.

———

     Katelyn sits in the middle of the stage with Dante and Travis at her sides. The music starts and she stands up. She brushes her fingers under Dante's chin before pushing him away. She repeats the same move with Travis and then her feet are moving fast. The energy shifts to be more upbeat.
      She's suddenly like one of the dance figures you see in music boxes. She's dancing a mix of ballet and hip hop, mixing both to become one masterpiece. Travis and Dante try to mimic her moves, but in their own hip hop style. Every delicate spin is reflected into a more bouncy spin.
      The song ends and the three of them exit the stage. They have their moment of celebrating with each other about how they did and they go and meet Aphmau and Aaron.