19. Dance Competition Pt. 2

"Oh man, we're up next! I am so excited!" Aphmau exclaims, hopping up and down.

She rubs her hands together nervously and smiles at Aaron. Aaron returns the smile with his own and the two quiet down as the two people who perform first go up to the stage. Aphmau sighs and takes a deep breath and feels Aaron's arms wrap around her from behind.

"We'll do great," Aaron assures her with a low voice.

Aphmau blushes and relaxes into his arms. Once the duo before them finishes, they are called next onto the stage and they take their positions. A cheer from their friends is heard forcing a smile to make its way onto Aphmau's face, but her smile isn't seen because her head is faced towards the floor.
     Suddenly the music begins and the dance comes to life. It's an energetic song that makes everyone want to join in. It's like something magnetic and you can't stop yourself from moving to it.

     I will stand by you, even when we fall.

     The song is fun and it reflects their relationship. It's a little quirky, but that's how they like it. Their bodies move in sync to the music, making whoever watches it immediately satisfied. Suddenly the song reaches the build up to the chorus and they move their arms up at the same time.
     Then they're jumping away from each other and it's all full of energy. It's like they are trying to spread a message of love to everyone, but to each other at the same time. The movements are loose and Aphmau can't help the grin glued to her face. Aaron makes eye contact with Aphmau for a second and smiles to her too.

No matter where you are

No matter where you are I'll be there

I'll be there

Aaron's arm is now wrapped behind Aphmau's back and Aphmau's is warped behind his. Aaron and Aphmau then turn their heads to be faced towards each other and both yell with the music,

"I'll be there!"

The audience screams and claps are all around. The two breathe heavily, take each other's hands, and walks off of the stage. Aphmau squeals once they're off the stage and hops up and down.

"That was so fun!" Aphmau exclaims, hopping, and holding Aaron's hands.

"Wasn't it? You did great!" Aaron replies.

"Thank you! You did great too!"

Aphmau leans and hugs Aaron tightly. He gladly wraps his arms around her too.

———

    Laurance and Garroth take the stage. They made sure to wear outfits that would glow in the dark. They went through a lot of different songs and kept changing their choices, but this one was perfect. They both start in a corner of the stage and the music starts with a siren. The lights turn off. The two of them back away from the corner and into the middle of the stage and see a glowing chain that's attached from Laurance's foot to Garroth's.
     They both move almost robotically with the music and they hold onto the chain. They continue dancing with a lot of energy and suddenly they're moving in slow motion. Garroth on the ground and Laurance slowly moving forward.
     They finally get the chain off of their feet and the light turns back on for the mood change. The music slows and they're moving slowly now. There's a different atmosphere. It's calming and slow.
     They speed up and continue. The song changes again to something more upbeat. It's like the longer they dance, the more complicated the dance progressively gets.  The dance comes to its end and they make their way off of the stage, soaking in the sound of the amazed audience.

     "Man, that was really tiring," Laurance says, sighing and leaning back to take a deep breath. He leans against a wall and smiles.

     "Yeah, but I think we did awesome!" Garroth replies.

     "Yeah," Laurance can't help the smile that grows on his face and Garroth smiles too.

     Garroth really can't help the blush that grows across his cheek when he looks at Laurance. He's just so attractive and his blue eyes are so bright and beautiful. Garroth can stare into them all day if he really wished to. He wants to reach out and kiss him, but he knows he can't. He knows he shouldn't.

     "Garroth? You feeling okay?" Laurance asks, placing his hands on Garroth's shoulders.

     His eyes are softened and his brows are lowered. Garroth feels a lump in his throat. He wants to run away. He wishes he could've liked anyone but Laurance. Why'd it have to be Laurance? Laurance was supposed to be his friend, but Garroth wanted more than just friendship. Suddenly Garroth goes for it, he leans in and kisses Laurance.
     Laurance is caught off guard and his eyebrows lift. He shakily moves his arms from Garroth's shoulder and is quickly pushed away from Garroth. Garroth breathes quickly, his heart feeling like it might burst.

      "G..Garroth.. w-What-"

     "I'm sorry!"

     Garroth runs off from backstage, out of the building, and into his car. He runs his hand through his hair and sighs. He feels like his chest is tightening and like he can't breathe. Why did his feelings have to ruin that nice moment? He feels his chest rise as tears make their way down his cheeks. He covers his face and cries.

———

     "You did amazing!" Kawaii Chan exclaims, hugging Aphmau tightly.

      "Thanks Kawaii Chan! I'm excited to see what you've come up with!" Aphmau replies.

     Zane looks at Kawaii Chan with a look that's warning her not to say anything about the dance. Kawaii Chan smiles and nods. The four of them continue their chatter until they are interrupted by a frantic Laurance.

     "Did anyone see where Garroth went?" Laurance panics.

     "No, I didn't see him," Zane replies, crossing his arms.

      "W..Well I need to find him! He just kissed me and then ran off. I..I don't really..understand!" Laurance replies nervously.

     "What?" The group exclaims in sync.

      Laurance sighs and nods. He runs his hand through his hair.

     "Garroth.. kissed you?" Aphmau asks.

     "Yes he did! I don't know why! Do you know why he kissed me? Was it a dare or something?"

     Aphmau's lips tighten slightly as she tries not to say anything. Garroth told her his secret and if he's not ready to tell anyone else, it's not her place to do it for him. Aphmau decides to shake her head instead and Laurance groans.

      "I'm going to check outside!"

     Laurance suddenly runs off outside.

     Zane checks his watch and taps Kawaii Chan's shoulder.

     "We're up soon. We better head backstage."

     "Yeah! Zane Kun is right!" Kawaii Chan replies.

      "We'll see you guys later. Text me if anything comes up about Laurance and Garroth..," Zane tells Aphmau.

     Aphmau nods and Zane and Kawaii Chan walk away. Aaron looks at Aphmau with concern and puts his arm around her.

     "I hope Garroth will be okay.."

———

Hey! There's one more part to the competition, but that's not the end of the book. I recently watched IT Chapter 2 and I definitely recommend it. I cried a little, but I loved it! I don't know why that's relevant... but anyways,

I hope you liked this chapter and want to continue reading the rest of the book! This book will be coming to an end soon.. sadly..

The links to the dances in the songs are here:

Garroth and Laurance dance: https://youtu.be/M6XzGw7PyyQ

Aphmau and Aaron dance: https://youtu.be/mCkeG7lri7U