Jerk Approved Booklist

Choose from any one of these books. Read three narrative chapters ( author intro, character sketches, maps, copyright pages do not count)  Keep in mind that you will be asked questions.

1) The Secrets of Steel by Wishesonstars 

Magic is making a resurgence, and its secrets must be protected.The lines between friend and foe become blurred when Anahi meets Dasan from the Alcean army. But, can the pair set aside their differences so that their people may one day be united?

2) Lucks Fool by Oldmanben

Join Endo and his companions on their journey across the lands of Littany and beyond, where they encounter vindictive gods, drug addicted dragons, a vampiric platypus and an assortment of other colorful characters in this comedic fantasy adventure that doesn't take itself very seriously!

3) The Curious Adventure by StormyBean766

Ellowyn and her stepfather, Dr. Edward Von Heikenroter, put the island of Fairburg on the map. Their little shop on Main Street specializing the creation, and maintenance, of fully functional mechanical limbs, restored the livelihood of war veterans and factory accident survivors alike. But when Everett Greene, owner of a local greenhouse, presents the pair with an artificial limb built with a level of technology far beyond anything they've seen before, Dr. Von Heikenroter disappears. Ellowyn and Everett pick up the trail he left off and discover that under Fairburg's idyllic exterior nothing is as it seems.

4) The Grimoire of Arphazat by Spenders

Arphazat is a tokkaebi, a race of goblin-like creatures who make up the lowest caste of the technologically advanced Republic Commonwealth. She serves the Republic as a Scavenger, a guild of select tokkaebi who guide explorers and scholars into the ruins of a great and ancient magic empire to extract magical artifacts and tomes of knowledge. 

Deep in the deserts far south of the Republics reach a new ruin has been found. Word has spread it is haunted by the ghosts and demons of the great I'xian Empire. As Arphazat guides a scout party into the depths of the ruin she comes into the possession of a curious grimoire, which sets her on a journey to find the child of a long forgotten demi-god.

5) The Bukowski Files by awglen

Manic rock musician Jaymie Brzezinski claims to have been born at the moment of Charles Bukowski's death. Now the mad poet-incarnate fronts a band made up of his panic-prone twin, wise-beyond-their-years younger sibling, and a formidable but mostly stoned guitar goddess. When a murder at a house concert sets in motion a series of strange and inexplicable events, the Bukowski Brothers find that they have more to worry about than just getting through the set list.Paranormal horror-comedy with heart. Like the X-Files meets Scott Pilgrim in the Scooby Squad's van. Updates on Sundays.Note: Contains some foul language and reflects some poor lifestyle choices.

Know any gems under 1k that you think deserve to be featured? They don't have to be perfect. We're not going to review them. They just have to belong to someone else (not yours) and appropriate for all readers. Comment or send us a PM, and if the reviewers all agree, we'll add it to our approved list with the selections from our reviewers!