And so I kept walking.

Three blocks later, a car pulled up next to me.

But it wasn't a cab.

"Hey sweetheart," a man leaned out and looked me over. "I'll give you a grand for the night."

I looked at him for a moment, what in god's name was he-

Oh.

He thought I was a prostitute.

My cheeks flushed red and I immediately looked away. How could he think that? I looked down at my dress that was too tight and too short, and then at my legs, that were too fat to be on display like that. I did look like a hooker, I couldn't even blame him.

The familiar stinging in my eyes returned.

"Alright, you drive a hard bargain, love. I'll go up to twelve hundred, but you gotta do some extra stuff."

I opened my mouth to respond. But I couldn't. How do you respond to that? So I politely said no thank you and kept walking. But the car kept pace with me. He didn't say anything to me as I kept walking, he just followed me. And when I turned away from the main street, he turned, too.

"C'mon baby, I offered you a lot." He said harshly, his tone changing.

"I'm not... I don't do that."

"Oh, well then, why don't we hook up for free?" He suggested. I fished my phone out of my little bag and quickly texted the first person I could think of.

The car pulled over.

"Why not, babe?" He opened the car door.

"I just want to go home." I answered.

"You know, you're kind of pissing me off now." The guy approached me. He was in his early forties, wearing a cap, and otherwise a nondescript white male. "I give you a really nice proposition, and I'm frankly offended at how rude you've been to me." He snapped.

"I'm sorry." I said as I kept walking.

"Get back here." His hands were on me, stopping me, grabbing me, shaking me. I tried to scream out but my voice was completely lost in my chest. "Let's go." I fought back, but to no avail, and was dragged towards his car. I dropped to my knees on the sidewalk, hoping that it would make it harder for him to drag me.

It did, but it also made it more painful to me as my tights were ripped and my bare legs were scraped along the rough cement. I pushed and kicked to get away from him, but all it got me was bloody legs.

I didn't even feel the bitterness of the winter cold. I could only feel pain.

"Shut up, bitch." He grabbed a chunk of my hair and lifted me off the ground

I wanted to scream out, but honestly, in situations like that have taught me that screaming only makes it worse. Much worse.

I was smashed against the metal frame of the car and held there with his left arm as he opened the back door. He yanked me away and shoved me into the back seat, face first and on my stomach. My dress was hiked up to my waist, but before he could touch my underwear, I sent a kick to his gut and crawled into the car further, away from him. I tried the other door, but it was locked.

My ankle was grabbed and I was dragged back to him.

He looked furious.

"I'm going to make this hurt." He snarled. His large hands grabbed the collar of my dress and ripped it right down the middle. I tried to kick him again, but he blocked me and instead punched me right in the face.