Seven☄️

I smiled, I could feel this case would be coming to a close soon enough.

Apparently, Emily was connected with both Burrows' kids, one a friend the other a lover.

"I wonder if they have anything to do with her kidnap." Linda mumbled.

"Tomorrow, we'll find out. Right now, I need to go on routine check across the town, as well as buy some groceries. Jack is bringing home the tree today, so I've got to prepare dinner." I smiled.

"Oh, well. Good for you, you've got a big, strong man for that. I suppose I'll tell munchy to carry the tree home for me, he's the strongest of all."

"Munchy? That's one of your pets I could never like." I scoffed.

I noticed David had been looking at Linda the entire time. I sensed he liked her, well she could use a great Christmas gift.

David wasn't bad looking, once you took the time to study him. Black haired, gray smoldering eyes, angled chin, nice body build... Linda would love him if she decided to notice him.

"David, why don't you help Linda with her tree?" I asked.

"Ohh, okay. I will."

Linda simply looked at me like I had two heads, and I continued talking about our current case like nothing just happened.

*****

"You were just a bit off the mark today, Mrs. Puff." I scolded lightly. "Lucky for you.", I added.

The bony woman looked at me and scoffed, driving her car roughly past me.

I sighed, tired from all the tickets I had to give drivers today. Even though it wasn't right, I couldn't blame them. The snow had become so deep that you had to increase your speed to pass them comfortably.

I glanced sideways, noticing there was no one walking. Everyone on the road was using some means of transport, no way for exercise this winter.

Getting home, I just had time to change into a tank top and shorts before going into the kitchen to prepare dinner.

"Hey princess." I heard as I felt a light kiss on my neck.

I must have slept off because Jack was already home. I looked at the clock, 7:45pm.

"Hey, babe. How was work today?" I asked, rubbing my eyes. So much for looking sexy.

"Fine. Hey, you cooked dinner?" He muttered to which I nodded.
"What's the occasion?"

Slightly offended, I frowned, "Does there have to be an occasion before I cook dinner? Besides, you've been working hard this past weeks so I thought of rewarding you."

"I'm sorry, babe. You even cooked my favourite." He laughed, as he opened the plates. "Come on, let's eat."He continued, coming to pick me up from the sofa.

As I stood up, I noticed how his breath hitched. Perfect. We stood eye to eye now, and his eyes roamed all over me. The pink satin underwear I wore was fully transparent, leaving nothing to the imagination.

"Babe." He swallowed. "You look... breathtaking." I blushed, it had been a while since he said this. I had begun to miss our intimate moments, which had been overtaken lately by my job. Jack didn't complain, I knew he wouldn't so it was up to me to step up.

"You know, I'm really hungry now and I think my food is ready and waiting." Jack whispered, as he carried me in his arms and into our bedroom.

"Babe, your food is ready in the kitchen. You can put me down." I sang out.

Pouting when he really did set me down on my feet, I looked up at him to see him staring at me. Standing on my tiptoes, I put my arms around his neck as I made a
move. Beating me to it, Jack roughly grabbed me by the waist as he pulled me towards him and claimed my lips.

"My food is right here, Bella." He growled, pouring his emotions into the kiss.

I smiled, this was the Jack I needed right now. "I'm all yours, Jack." I purred.

*****

21st December 2019

"I just got info from our guys downtown. The Burrows' kids are back with their dad." David said, walking briskly to my desk.

"Good, let's go." I smiled, missing to Linda as we all entered my Blue Honda. We all preferred using my car to the pickup truck the police department had. It was kind if old fashioned and was only used during severe situations, we hadn't gotten to that part yet but I had a feeling we would soon get to it.

Lost in thoughts, I didn't realize we had already gotten there until I saw a young lady tending to the little flower garden just beside the house. Claire Burrows.

As soon as she noticed us, she turned pale and went into the house. Smiling, we moved forward: she was going to talk to us today along with her brother.

Her mother quickly came outside, and ushered us in like before. But something was different, I looked at her and saw as different emotions flashed on her face: panic, pain, worry... and an emotion I couldn't quite understand. Regret.

"I suppose you are here for my children. I really don't like this but I don't have a choice. You are the law here." She whispered, offering us tea, like before.

We watched silently as she called her children from their rooms. The son was bolder, as he stepped forward and arched a bushy eyebrow at us. Claire however came towards us cautiously, folding her arms tightly.

They were hiding something, and Claire's behaviour gave it away. I subtly looked at my partners and their contented looks screamed agreement.

As they all sat down, I started, "We're here to talk to the both of you, we were here before but you weren't around. I suppose your mother has told you why we came, and we need answers about the disappearance of the mayor's daughter." I finished, looking at three of them perched uncomfortably on their brightly coloured sofa.

"We've nothing to do with it. We don't even know her." John scowled.

I tapped my fingers on the chair I sat on, it looked like I was going to play the bad cop. "Wrong answer. We have evidence that you are both connected to Emily Brooks." I nearly laughed, as I saw the expression on his face.

I continued, "Your sister was seen with her on several occasions before her disappearance, and you...are her lover."

"Start explaining yourselves, or we'll take this to the station. I'm sure you don't want the guys handling you, or your sister." Claire visibly flinched as soon as I said that.

I wouldn't hurt the girl like that, but they didn't have to know that fact.

"Don't you dare do anything to my sister." The guy of about twenty three shouted, as he got up and stood to his fill height. Trying to scare me maybe.

"Then you sit down and start talking." I calmly stated.

Sitting down reluctantly he muttered, "Okay. I'll say all I know."

*****

Let me know your thoughts. Remember to tap the vote star 🌟