Not Good Enough

"You're not good enough for my son."

Thank you yummybuggie for requesting this chapter! ❤️❤️ I am so so sorry that this took so long

~

Jughead's P.O.V.

I stormed my mom into the living room and slammed the door, anger coursing through my veins.

"What the hell, mom?" I cried, turning to her.

"What?" she asked innocently.

"Oh, don't act like that. What was that? Betty told me all about it! How could you say that to her?!"

"She's not good enough for you, baby," she said, trying to calm me down, resting her hand on my arm.

I wrenched my arm away and snarled, "What the fuck do you mean she's not good enough for me?! I love her! She's the best damn thing that's ever happened to me. If anything, I'm not good enough for her!"

"She's . . . indecisive! Toni is so much better."

"First of all, indecisive? Really? And second, Toni's in a relationship! And it doesn't even matter, because I don't love her like that. I love Betty. I'm in love with Betty."

Before she could say anything, I reached into my pocket and took out the small velvet box, showing it to her. At first, she didn't look convinced, but when I opened the lid, her jaw dropped.

Inside was a beautiful diamond ring, the ring that Betty had seen three months ago in a jewelry store and told me it was the most beautiful ring she'd ever seen.

"You . . ." My mom gulped nervously, her eyes unfocused. "You . . . You were g-gonna . . ." She couldn't even finish the sentence.

"Yeah, mom," I said. "I was gonna propose to Betty."

*

Two hours earlier

Betty's P.O.V.

When Jug pulled up to his mother's house, I bit my lip, every possible scenario running through my mind as my gaze went to the front door. What if she hated me? What if she told Jug that he was better off without me? What if he—?

"Betts?" Jug said.

I turned to him. He was already out of the car, and had opened my door. I climbed out and grabbed his hand.

"Betty, it's gonna be okay. She's gonna love you."

I nodded and took a deep breath, but my shoulders didn't relax. Neither did I.

We walked up to the front door, and Jug gingerly lifted his hand and knocked on the door. My hand was squeezed tightly around his other one.

There was the distant sound of footsteps coming towards the door, then it opened, and Jug's mom peeked her head out.

She had shoulder-length dark brown hair and light brown eyes. She didn't really bare any resemblance to Jug, but I could still see how they were related. He got more of his looks from his father, clearly.

Gladys's gaze merely glided over me, not paying much attention to my presence, but when she rested her eyes on Jug, she beamed a smile so bright, it looked almost unnatural on her face.

"Jug! There's my boy!" she said cheerfully, opening the door wider as well as her arms.

Jughead stepped into them, and she enclosed her arms around him in a tight hug. They both smiled.