Broken (Part 3)

"You do know he loves you, right?"

Betty's P.O.V.

I woke up the next day to the awful ringing of my alarm.

I groggily pushed up and slammed the off button. Or aimed for it, anyway. Instead, I hit the snooze button, which meant it would ring again in about five or ten minutes.

In a moment of anger, I slammed the alarm clock at the wall. It made a thud sound and fell to the floor, leaving the wall dented and itself cracked and broken.

I took a deep, angry breath, nostrils flaring, and slowly rose up off the bed. I picked up the alarm clock and threw it into the trash, then got ready for school.

When I finished, I went downstairs and grabbed an apple. I dug my teeth into it and took a slow, sad bite, eyelids drooping from exhaustion.

"Betty?"

I turned around to see my mom standing there with her purse.

"Is that all you're eating for breakfast?" she asked, walking towards me. "No, have some cereal, honey."

"I'm fine," I said. "I—I'm not hungry."

Mom's eyebrows raised in question, but she didn't ask again.

I slung my backpack over my shoulder and opened the front door.

"Leaving already? You never leave this early."

"I wanna get a head start today," I said gloomily, and walked out of the house.

While I walked, Archie spotted me. I tried to avoid eye contact, tried to send a message, but he approached anyway.

"Hey, Betty," he said. "You okay? You seem upset about something."

I took a deep, shuddering breath, and said, "Jughead broke up with me. Last night."

Archie's eyes widened as he looked over at me. "What? What happened?"

"We got in this huge fight, and he asked me if I thought we were meant to be together. And I...I hesitated, Arch. I shouldn't have. I should have told him immediately that I do. But I hesitated."

"Why?"

"Because Jughead's right. I really don't know. I don't have any proof."

"You don't need proof, Betty. The only proof you really need is how you feel about him now. Do you love him?"

"I do."

That answer came without hesitation. There was no question of that. I absolutely loved him, and that was something I was sure of and always would be sure of.

"Then that's all you need," Archie said. "You loving him and him loving you is enough to know that you guys are meant to be together."

"Right. If he loves me."

"You know he does."

I nodded. But even then, after last night? I wasn't so sure.

"Do you?"

"Huh?" I said.

"You do know he loves you, right?"

I opened my mouth to answer.

And I hesitated again.

A/N
Okay, the next two last chapters of Broken are longer, I promise you that. The next one is in Betty's P.O.V. and the last one is in Jughead's.

Published 04/16/19