Chapter 20: "It's A Date."

Start from the beginning

I'm dressed in my Umbrella Academy uniform, the blazer fitting snugly and the skirt just a few inches shorter than it should be. The deep reds of the outfit seem neon in comparison to the greys of the cloudy outside world.

A cheerful voice cuts through my thoughts "Did something happen?" I turn to Mom, who is beaming happily at the rest of us. Why is she acting so weird? Allison stares at her strangely "Dad died. Remember?" Her face falls and she schools her expression into a sad face "Oh. Yes, of course." "Is Mom okay?", Number Three asks concernedly. Diego, who is letting himself get drenched by the pouring rain for some reason, replies "Yeah. She just needs to rest, you know, recharge."

Pogo steps forward and glances at Luther, who is holding the urn containing Reginald's ashes "Whenever you're ready, dear boy." Luther looks at the urn before carefully unscrewing the lid and turning it upside down. The ashes spill out and instead of dramatically drifting away on the wind, they fall onto the ground and form a small white pile.

"Probably would have been better with some wind," he shrugs. "Yeah, no sh¡t Sherlock," I deadpan. "Does anyone wish to speak?", Pogo finally says. Number Two rolls his eyes and Klaus just continues smoking his cigarette. "Very well. In all regards, Sir Reginald Hargreeves made me what I am today. For that alone, I shall forever be in his debt. He was my master, and my friend and I shall miss him very much," Pogo announces. I mime wiping a tear from my eye and Five smirks slightly. "He leaves behind a complicated legacy-" "He was a monster," Diego interrupts unabashedly. I scoff "Here's your daily entertainment by the Hargreeves family, everyone."

Klaus lets out a breathy laugh and Diego continues "He was a bad person and an even worse father. The world's better off without him." "Diego," Allison says, warning lacing her tone. "Not today Diego, please," I massage my temples. Number Two comes closer and says "My name is Number Two. You know why? Because our father couldn't be bothered to give us actual names. He had Mom do it." My voice is steely when I answer "Go away."

He takes out one of his knives and the blade glints. "And you got the worst of it, didn't you, 'Number X'?" He traces the knife against my  cheek and I remain stone still. "An abusive mother," I clench my fists "A rubbish father and an even worse boyfriend. Did he even care when Reginald was electrocuting your eyeballs out? And now you're nothing but a little kid, unable to defend herself." I pull my fist back and punch him in the face. The shock causes him to reel backwards and fall to the ground. Glaring at him, I say "Go to hell, Diego."

Suddenly, Mom breaks through the tension with a simple question "Would anyone like something to eat?" "No thanks Mom," Vanya says. "Oh, okay." Number Two stands up and announces "Look, you wanna pay your respects? Go ahead. But at least be honest about the kind of man he was." "You should probably stop talking now," Luther mutters.

"You know, you of all people should be on my side here, Number One."

"I am warning you."

"After everything he did to you. He had to ship you a million miles away."

"Diego, stop talking."

"That's how much he couldn't stand the sight of you!"

That's the final straw that broke the camel's back. Luther throws a clumsy punch towards Diego who dodges swiftly. The two begin to spar, fueled by anger and hatred. "Boys, stop this at once!" Pogo yells to no avail. Klaus puts a hand in front of Five as if to protect him, and Five glances disgustedly at him before stepping forward again. I roll my eyes, barely caring about the fight in front of my eyes. I can't believe Diego had the guts to bring up my past, here, in front of everyone! I look up just in time to catch Five sighing "We don't have time for this," before sauntering off.