If you aren't disappointed, what was with the dead beat 'Oh'?

"It just doesn't surprise me." he continued, making my frown grow deeper. Dad must've caught my baffled expression because he chuckled lightly, making my mom smile as she locked her gaze on me.

"Carter, I'm the beta of Marcana and your father. You think I didn't know about those strange boys sneaking out of my house at four in the morning?"

Oh no!

I'm an idiot! Why didn't I think of that? Of course dad would know if there was some strange boy in his house whom was most definitely not Nathaniel or myself.

"Well, at least we know now it wasn't a phase. So, are you bisexual then?" mom queried. I chewed my lip unsure of how to answer that. I don't really know. I'm attracted to both men and women, but sexually, my got to preference would be women. I'd only slept with other guys as sort of an experiment to confirm whether or not I found them sexually appealing. I didn't label it per say.

But as of late, no one appealed to me except for my mate. And so he did from his scent that was something cool fresh like a cold, rainy day mixed with something naturally spicy, warm and sweet; to his physical appearance of a lean, trim body, short cropped chestnut hair and striking blue eyes that pierced through the veil of a rich, warm, complexion that made him look like an Eastern mythological god. Then, there was his personality. Quiet and observant, reserved yet something insanely strong, a wall barricading him that gave a boyish, mysterious appeal. I didn't forget he also had quite the mouth on him when he wanted. It all added to driving me over the edge with wanting him.

And not in the physical, sexual sense. The desire was there, but not yet strong. I wanted more than just his body. I wanted his attitude, his personality, his spirit, his strength, his fire. His troubles and worries.

I want all of him.

"Doesn't matter. I've gotten a second chance mate."

"Does your new mate have a name?" dad asked, carefully watching me. It made me uncomfortable and I felt as though he were peering into my brain, picking it apart for the name of my mate.

"Um...Bennett Reid."

"Pleasant young man." my mother commented. Dad didn't say anything. At least not verbally, but his expression said plenty. And it only added to my confusion on reading him.

Did he disapprove the match? Or was he thinking something far more complex? I truly hope it's the latter rather than the former. At least with the latter, I can find out what he's thinking.

"Isn't he Mandy's brother? The one Kelly left you for?"

He just had to go there!

"That's done with. Bennett is my mate. That's what I'm going after." Even I was caught off guard by the conviction in my voice. Mom was beaming with pride. Dad was confused.

"You're forgiving him that easily?"

I frowned, narrowing my gaze. "You sound like him." It was his turn to frown now, but he quickly schooled his features and leaned back in his chair.

"I'm not against it. Just dubious."

"He's not your mate, dad. Why would you be skeptical?"

"The boy has a reputation to his name, and you have one to uphold. You have to wonder how people are going to view your relationship. Bennett's reputation can affect yours. The last thing you need is people questioning the stability of your relationship because soon they'll start questioning your leadership." he explained. I rolled my eyes, having never heard more bullshit. He did have a point, but it's all bullshit.