Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven
The Terror in Volterra
Grace Cullen-Swan

From Seattle to Atalanta, from Atlanta to Rome, and from Rome to Florence, Italy. Alice hadn't received any visions of Edward, he had apparently decided to suffer a day of loathing himself for causing Bella's death before going to ask to join her.

The moment we touched down in Florence, Alice and I sprung from our seats. I practically dragged Bella off of the plane and to the bathroom to change while I sent Alice to get us a car.

Which, just so happened to be a bright yellow newest model porche.

"Seriously, could you be less inconspicuous next time?" I laughed at Alice as I opened the passenger door.

"I'm guessing you didn't rent this car?" Bella asked as she climbed into the backseat while I got in the passenger side.

"I figured you wouldn't be opposed to grand theft auto." Alice teased her.

"Not today." Bella nodded, looking like the panic she had for Edward was about to consume her.

"Let's get moving." I told Alice, and she took off speeding down the major road of Volterra. "Marcus said he would make sure Edward was denied, and I trust him, but that doesn't guarantee that Edward won't do something foolish to anger Aro." I sighed deeply, my own worry for my son settling into the pit of my stomach.

We were just nearing the actual city of Volterra when Alice swerved uncharacteristically, and I caught the wheel and steered us through traffic while she watched her vision carefully.

"What? What do you see?" Bella asked her, sitting up from the backseat between Alice and I.

"They refused him." Alice nodded, and I sighed in relief.

"So...?" Bella prompted, noticing Alice's still worried expression.

"He's going to make a scene." She frowned, having already expected it. "Show himself to the humans." She clarified for Bella's sake.

"No." She gasped breathlessly. "When?"

"He's going to wait until noon, when the suns at its highest." Alice answered, coming out of her vision and frowning at the clock.

We only had ten minuets.

"Alice you've got to hurry up." Bella stressed.

"There's Volterra." I pointed out to Bella, my nerves going haywire.

Once we got into the city itself, Alice had a hard time navigating around all of the red robed people as she blared her horn and inched her way through the streets.

"Why are they all in red?" Bella asked.

"San Marcos day festival. The celebration of the expulsion of vampires from the city. It's the perfect setting. The Volturi will never let him get far enough to reveal himself." Alice explained.

"I hadn't even realized what day it was." I sighed, knowing we wouldn't make it in time if we kept with this pace.

"We have five minuets!" Bella gasped. "We don't have time for a celebration".

"I know, Bella, just breathe." Alice tried to calm her down.

"Pull over." I ordered Alice, and she quickly pulled off into an alleyway.

"Grace?!" Bella panicked as I got out of the car, throwing my hood up and sunglasses on to cover my skin. "What are you doing?" She asked as I ushered her to get out of the car.

"Giving us our best chance." I sighed, having her put on a jacket so I could put the hood up and get sunglasses on her face. "I'm going to cover you with my gift to make you appear to be a vampire to other vampires. Go find Edward, if the Volturi catches you, you might fool them enough for them to let you both go." I explained to her quickly.