Macho

prompt: "He's too macho to admit that a woman can do his job as well as he can."
-dictionary.cambridge.org
summary: Zelda and Link fight off misogyny.
universe: Breath of the Wild/Canon
date: september 2, 2019
notes: don't worry, Link's not the misogynist in the prompt, someone else is ;)

It was common knowledge that the Princess of Hyrule and her knight were not the best of friends.

They barely spoke to each other, aside from Zelda telling him to go away. But he never did, and between that and the Princess's several attempts to escape Link, their relationship was on rocky ground, to say the least.

But, he stayed by her side regardless, including when a researcher from the Faron region was visiting the castle to report his findings concerning the Guardians and other Sheikah technology.

Currently, Link was standing just behind Princess Zelda on a passageway outside, the Wisdom Bearer gazing out at the Guardians crawling in the grass below and taking notes. A comfortable silence surrounded them, the royal for once not complaining about her stoic bodyguard.

Link's ears twitched and he tensed ever so slightly, his grip on the Master Sword subtly tightening. Zelda's grip on the Sheikah Slate tightened as she turned to her left to see the researcher himself, a young man named Ralph, strolling towards them.

Something about the guy put Link off. He had to suppress chills whenever he saw the scientist, and he didn't like it one bit. He would never let his guard down around the guy, especially around the Princess. The knight wasn't entirely sure if the man noticed or not.

Ralph's glasses glinted in the sun, hiding his eyes temporarily. A smirk adorned his face as he stopped just before the pair, and Ralph turned to look at the Guardian, who was now carrying a small, giggling child on it's head.

"Fascinating, aren't they? The Guardians, as I'm sure you know, are centuries old. Originally, we believe the Sheikah created them to face off against the previous evil incarnate, if our resources are correct. But— ah, why am I telling you this?"

Zelda bristled, and Link only just held himself back. "And what is that supposed to mean, if I may?"

Ralph sneered, and Link's knuckles went white. This pompous bastar— "Well, it's just, you're a woman. The only reason you're not in the kitchen right now is because you're a pretty little princess!"

Zelda openly gaped, flabbergasted. Before she could give him a piece of her mind, though, Link stepped in.

KASHING!

Cold metal pressed against the man's jugular. Even colder eyes bore into his own. "I suggest you leave," Link started, voice low and deadly calm, "before I make you."

Ralph gulped, and his throat just pressed harder against the blade (which was, funnily enough, shining softly as it does when pure evil is around. Link figured the spirit inside the sword was just as pissed as he was). The male researcher scurried away, stumbling slightly as he tripped in his haste. The knight sheathed his sword, and he turned around to see the princess openly staring at him.

His lips quirked upwards ever-so-slightly. "You should close your mouth, before you catch a fly."

Zelda started, and snorted slightly before swatting his arm. "Jerk."

She smiled, though, and Link thought their bond got just a little closer.

Extra:

Link lied to the Old Man (who was apparently the late King of Hyrule) after he woke up. There was one thing he remembered, one little, seemingly insignificant thing that utterly confused him.

He had an intense dislike of the name 'Ralph'.

Silly, right?