chapter twelve

Eliza

Eliza

Today, I have a fitting for my wedding dress. I ordered it online from a popular bridal store that was recommended to me by a woman in Vancouver. I'm ashamed that I never got her name and number – I would like to thank her for telling me about the website because it's where I found my dream dress.

Aside from being able to swoon over my beautiful dress, this fitting is also a nice break from the guys and anything else that's wedding-related. I know I'm contradicting myself when I say this – it's a wedding dress I'm getting fitted – but this is relaxing for me because it's already planned out. My wedding dress is a decision that's already been set in stone. I just have to make sure it fits.

"Wow," Tenille breathes when I step out of the changeroom. "You look fabulous."

Blushing, I glance down at my dress and smooth my palms over the bodice. My dress is an ivory tulle gown with darker hues shadowing the intricate designs along the bodice and the butterfly-inspired appliques that sit slightly above my waist. The skirt is softly tiered, reminding me of wisps of smoke dissipating into the air, and just skims the ground. Aside from the intricate designs on the bodice, the gown is full of several different, unique components: the illusion tank straps, the striking dip between my breasts, and the low back that displays my summer, freckled skin.

"Absolutely stunning," Serena echoes.

On the brink of crying, I turn away from my reflection, careful not to disrupt the pins that are holding together the straps that need adjusting. "Enough about me," I reply. I cock my head to the side and inspect their peach-coloured bridesmaid dresses. With a figure-flattening crisscross waistband and a full skirt with an extra-wide sweep, their mesh one-shoulder dresses are visibly stunning. "You ladies look gorgeous."

"I know," Serena smiles, adjusting her strapless bra. "But we're not the ones getting married. That adds a whole other level of beauty to you. And just wait until the big day, when your hair and makeup are done to perfection."

Briefly, I close my eyes and try to picture my big day. I imagine a bright sunny day with not a cloud in the sky. I see sunflowers and magnolias and baby's breath. I see James at the end of the aisle, dressed in his crisp suit with a tie that matches that bridesmaid dresses, waiting for my dad to walk me down the aisle. And although this sounds horrendously selfish, I want everyone who attends the wedding to envy me when I walk down that aisle. I want them to be jealous of the man I'm marrying. Of the dress I'm wearing. I want them to turn green the moment I sign the papers and legally change my last name from Sangster to Adams.

A smile works its way across my lips as I open my eyes and glance between my friends. "I can't wait," I choke, feeling teary again. "This...I just have no words for it."

Tenille reaches out and squeezes my shoulder. "You should get the tears out now, sweetie, before the wedding. While I'm thankful you're not a bridezilla, I also don't want you to be one of those weeping brides, either."

I smack her in the arm. "Shut up, Ten."

By the time my seamstress, Sharon, walks in with the correct shade of thread to match my dress, Tenille and Serena have left the room to change out of their dresses. Theirs needed no modifications, but it wasn't a bad idea to double-check. Just like my experience with the wedding, I want theirs to be perfect, too. Asking them to be my bridesmaids is a big commitment for them to make.

"Any plans after this?" Sharon asks as she begins to adjust the straps.

"Not really," I reply. I watch in utter fascination as she expertly stitches my dress. Sharon may be an older lady with frail hands, but she sure knows how to do her job with skill and poise. "There are a few final things we need to go over for the wedding, so, me and the girls are probably just going to go out for dinner tonight."

"That sounds like a good plan," she smiles.

The adjustments take about fifteen minutes for Sharon to do. By the time she's done, I'm ready to start crying again. Now that the strap isn't loose on my shoulder, the dress feels and looks ten times better on me.

"Wow," Tenille says as she chews thoughtfully on a mint candy. "Did your boobs grow in the past five minutes?"

I snort, turning to the side and running my hands down the intricate design of my bodice. Now that the straps are a little tighter, the dress holds me better. And Tenille right – it does make my breasts look a couple of cup sizes bigger. Admittedly, it was the first thought I had when Sharon was done. I was too scared to say something, though. I'm too modest to make such a bold comment.

"Certainly looks like it," Serena says. "James is going to forget where your eyes are."

I roll my eyes. Although James has told me many, many times that he loves my body, he's not the type of man that would stare at my boobs all night or be completely fascinated by them. At least, not in public. When he's out in public, he prefers to dig a little deeper and get to know people for who they are on the inside and not based on their looks. The bedroom, however, is an entirely different story. But I'll save that thought for another time.

"This is perfect," I gush, turning back to Sharon. "Thank you so much. I'll definitely be changing your oil for free next time."

Hell, I'll even change the brakes and make sure the engine is in mint condition.

"It was my pleasure, Eliza," she smiles. "I hope you have a lovely wedding."

I thank her one last time before she exits the room and I'm left alone with Tenille and Serena. I turn to my friends. "We should go out," I declare. "I know have some last-minute tweaks to go over, but I think it would be fun to do at a restaurant."

Tenille checks her mini pink planner. There's a concentrated frown on her face as she does this. "We were supposed to finish off the order for your bouquet and make an appointment for a cake-tasting event."

I smile, loving how adamant Tenille is about making my day perfect. "We could do that tomorrow," I suggest, "after the Farmer's Market. Don't forget that we did finish off the seating arrangements and how we want the buffet set up earlier this morning. We also managed to do a check-up with the caterer."

Tenille glances up from her planner. She doesn't look too keen on pushing the rest of our tasks to tomorrow, but before she can say anything, Serena makes an executive decision. She grabs the planner from Tenille and stuffs it in her purse, looping her arm through Tenille's. "Fuck it, Tenille. I'll make the decision for you. We're going out. End of story."

I stifle a giggle. Tenille looks absolutely appalled with Serena's actions. So appalled, in fact, that I think she's going to insist that we stick to the plan. However, with the pleading look on my face and Serena's defiant attitude, she gives in. "Okay, fine," she sighs. "Go get changed, Eliza. We'll go out and relax. Tomorrow, though, we're getting shit done. Got it?"

I salute her as I turn around and enter the change room. "Yes, ma'am," I call over the door. "You are the Maid of Honour, after all."

"Whatever," Tenille mutters.

The corners of my mouth turn upward as I unzip my dress. Even though I can't see her face, I know she's smiling. As I step out of my dress, I release a sigh of happiness. This is the first time since Leon arrived that I've truly felt content. Which, if you think about it, is an added bonus for me because it means I'm getting used to having him here. While I'm not pleased with him showing his face here, I'm glad I'm beginning to adapt to the idea. Maybe I won't kick him out of here, after all. Because soon he's just going to be another guest at my wedding.