chapter four

Eliza

Eliza

1999, Whistler, First Day of Kindergarten

"Mommy," I say, tugging at the sleeve of her sweater. "I'm scared. What...What if the other kids don't like me?"

"Eliza, honey," Mom says. She kneels down so we're face-to-face. She cups my face with one hand. "You're going to be just fine. I promise."

I stomp my foot. Not because I'm mad at Mom. It's something I do when I'm close to crying. And I want to cry. Today is my first day of kindergarten, and I don't know what to expect. I don't know the first thing about going to school or making friends. "But...But how can you be sure?" I whine. A tear slips down my cheek.

"Eliza," Mom whispers. She begins to wipe away my tears. "You're going to be okay because you're a strong girl. I know you're going to do good in school and make lots of friends. Mark my words, by the time the school year is over, you're not going to want the summer holidays to happen."

"Are you sure?" I whimper. My bottom lip quivers as I stare into her jade-coloured eyes. The same eyes I have.

"Yes," Mom replies. She casts her gaze to the side, just over my shoulder, and smiles. "And I also know somebody who will be attending school with you."

She points over my shoulder and I turn around to follow the direction. Dressed in a pair of jean shorts and a Batman T-shirt, along with tiny skate shoes and backpack on his back, I see Leon. My best friend.

My dreary mood instantly brightens.

"Leon!" I squeal. I drop my backpack at my mom's feet and rush over to him. He meets me halfway, hugging me close.

"Lizzie," he says, stumbling over his words a little. He's missing one of his two front teeth. It makes his words sound funny. "Mom says we're going to the same school!"

"I know!" I exclaim, jumping up and down. "We're gonna be in the same class!"

We hug each other tighter, attempting to jump up and down as we do. Because of Leon, the first day of school doesn't look so bad. I'm still nervous, but I know things are going to be easier with Leon next to me.

Grabbing my hand, he tugs me over to my backpack and picks it up for me. Once it's on my shoulders, we walk over, hand-in-hand, to where the rest of the students are. Quite a few have already taken their place in line, which worries me. Even Leon's hand and his sparkly grin can't ease away all of my nervousness. Warily, I glance over my shoulder and look to my mom for more support.

She's talking to Mrs. Saint-Laurent, but when she notices me looking at her, she smiles and gives me a thumbs-up. I smile back, hoping she doesn't see the wobble in my bottom lip. I know Mom is expecting me to have a good first day. She also told me that everything is going to be okay. I have to trust her. I have to believe her.

Taking a deep breath, I turn around, my two braids swinging with the motion, and squeeze Leon's hand. "What subject are you excited about?" I ask. "Mommy said the teacher is going to teach us how to read."

Leon snorts. "You already know how to read, Lizzie. I'm looking forward to naptime."

I wrinkle my nose. What a funny subject to want to partake in – you're not even learning anything. "Do they even have naptime here?"

He shrugs. "Don't know. I hope so."

"Leon," I giggle. "You won't learn anything if you're napping."

"Maybe not," he replies. "But I like my dreams."

"Why?"

He glances at me, a big smile on his face. "Because you and I are always on magical adventures in them. We're fighting dragons and Darth Vader and all the other bad guys. We always win. We're heroes, Lizzie."

I giggle again, poking him in the shoulder. "You're weird."

"So are you," he laughs.

We grin at each other as the bell rings, signalling the beginning of our first year of school. As the line slowly begins to trickle in, we follow the crowd, still holding hands. When we're inside, I begin to panic a little. The school is big, the class is big, people look like giants everywhere I look. I don't know how I'm going to get through this without Mommy by my side. I'm going to miss her and Daddy while I'm here.

But it feels a lot easier to handle with Leon Saint-Laurent beside me.